AutoSPInstaller Online xml file cannot Connect to Database Server

Topics: Feedback, General Questions
May 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM
We have encountered an issue while running the AutoSPInstallerLaunch bat file. Our sharepoint server is unable to connect to the database server even though the alias are correctly configured. Please note that we are able to connect to the database on our first run of the script (using the xml generated from the AutoSPInstaller Online) last May 18, 2015. But since May 19 when we tried to run it again, we are having this issue. We already tested it on another server and the same issue happened. Hope you can check as this might be a product bug. Please help us.
<Farm>
    <Passphrase>Accenture01</Passphrase>
    <Account LeaveInLocalAdmins="false" AddToLocalAdminsDuringSetup="true">
        <Username>ds\sharepoint.lab.admin</Username>
        <Password>mypassword</Password>
    </Account>
    <CentralAdmin Provision="localhost">
        <Database>Content_CentralAdmin</Database>
        <Port>2013</Port>
        <UseSSL>false</UseSSL>
    </CentralAdmin>
    <Database>
        <DBServer>SP2013-SQL2014</DBServer>
        <DBAlias DBPort="" DBInstance="SP2013-SQL2014\MSSQLSERVER" Create="true" />
        <DBPrefix>AutoSPInstaller</DBPrefix>
        <ConfigDB>Config</ConfigDB>
    </Database>
Coordinator
May 22, 2015 at 2:27 PM
I notice the name you chose for the alias (SP2013-SQL2014) is the same as the actual SQL server name. Normally, you wouldn't do this, since part of the reason for an alias is to de-couple the real SQL server name from the name we use to reference it. But anyhow, can you edit your XML to display as follows instead (although it really shouldn't make any difference):
     <Database>
       <DBServer>SP2013-SQL2014</DBServer>
        <DBAlias Create="true"
                        DBInstance="SP2013-SQL2014\MSSQLSERVER"
                        DBPort="" />
        <DBPrefix>AutoSPInstaller</DBPrefix>
        <ConfigDB>Config</ConfigDB>
     </Database>
If this doesn't work, I would compare your version of the XML that did work prior with the newer version that's causing trouble to see where the discrepancy could be.

Brian
May 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Upon checking on the XML that worked, one difference I noticed is that on the DBPort field I specified the port number (I used 1433). On the latest one I didn't put anything as the web UI specified that if we leave it blank it will use the default port 1433. I tested it again now specifying the port and it was successful connecting to the database.
    <Database>
        <DBServer>SP2013-SQL2014</DBServer>
        <DBAlias DBPort="1433" DBInstance="SP2013-SQL2014\MYSSQLSERVER" Create="true" />
        <DBPrefix>AutoSPInstaller</DBPrefix>
        <ConfigDB>Config</ConfigDB>
    </Database>
Marked as answer by brianlala on 6/17/2015 at 8:36 PM