No Search Analytics in single server SP2013 farm

Topics: General Questions
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Hey Guys,

we've just started playing with search in SP2013 and noticed that an AutoSPInstaller deployed single-server farm doesn't get any Search Analytics (Crawl Health Reports). The CPU/RAM reports work, but Crawl Rate, Crawl Latency, etc are all empty.

I've freshly installed twice and have the same issue (I'm running on srv2008R2 with SQL2012 on a separate server).

Strangely, a multi-server farm install (using AutoSPInstaller) has the Analytics no problem.

I haven't dug too deeply yet, so not sure if this is:
a) User error (I've stuffed up the config for AutoSPInstaller, using AutoSPInstallerGUI)
b) AutoSPInstaller error
c) AutoSPInstallerGUI error
d) something else...

But wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Does the Analytics Processing component show as healthy in your Search Service app?

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Yeah, all green ticks.

I'll turn up the ULS logs and see if there's anything obvious while crawling...
Jan 28, 2014 at 3:21 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 3:24 AM
OK, so I've dug around in the ULS logs, I can't see anything bad happening during a crawl...

But I found the Correlation ID for the page request for the Crawl Reports that are coming up empty and there is an error, though it's only logged as "Medium" level and the initial indicator only turns up if logging is set to verbose!

Here's a screenshot of the bounding monitored scope, with the errors inside. This pattern appears four times in a row.

I can supply more of the message content if anyone thinks it will help.

Note: I've not compared this with a "healthy" system, so it's possible that this is normal (given the number of "errors" that SharePoint throws....).

[Sorry, tried to embed the screenshot, but it looked crap, so there's a link to it on SkyDrive]
Mar 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2014 at 3:30 AM
I am seeing the same behaviour on single server installations also. In my environment, the following things aren't working:
  • Crawl Health Reports
  • Query Health Reports
    Log file has the following entries:
High SPRequest.GetFileAndMetaInfo: UserPrincipalName=, AppPrincipalName= ,bstrUrl=http://devsps01:5555/_admin/search/crawlhealthreports.aspx?appid=9abb1b44-4b99-4314-8b3c-3dc2d73f8138 ,bPageView=1 ,bPageMode=0 ,bGetBuildDependencySet=0 ,bstrCurrentFolderUrl=<null> ,iRequestVersion=0 ,bMainFileRequest=0

Medium System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002), StackTrace: at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetWebPartPageContent(Uri pageUrl, Int32 pageVersion, PageView requestedView, HttpContext context, Boolean forRender, Boolean includeHidden, Boolean mainFileRequest, Boolean fetchDependencyInformation, Boolean& ghostedPage, String& siteRoot, Guid& siteId, Int64& bytes, Guid& docId, UInt32& docVersion, String& timeLastModified, Byte& level, Object& buildDependencySetData, UInt32& dependencyCount, Object& buildDependencies, SPWebPartCollectionInitialState& initialState, Object& oMultipleMeetingDoclibRootFolders, String& redirectUrl, Boolean& ObjectIsList, Guid& listId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetWebPartManagerInternalInitialS...

Medium ...tate(Uri pageUrl, Int32 pageVersion, PageView requestedView, Boolean forRender, Boolean includeHidden, Int64& bytes) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetWebPartManagerInternal(Uri pageUrl, Int32 pageVersion, PageView requestedView, Boolean forRender, Boolean includeHidden, Int64& bytes) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetLimitedWebPartManagerInternal(Uri pageUrl, Int32 pageVersion, PageView requestedView, Boolean forRender, Boolean includeHidden) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetLimitedWebPartManager(String fullOrRelativeUrl, PersonalizationScope scope) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.UserInputFilterWebPart.get_RequestCachedPersonalizedDefaults() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.UserInputFilterWebPart.GetExternalValues() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Porta...

Medium Failure when fetching document. 0x80070002

Unknown SPRequest error occurred. More information: 0x80070002

High SPRequest.GetFileAndMetaInfo: UserPrincipalName=, AppPrincipalName= ,bstrUrl=http://devsps01:5555/_admin/search/crawlhealthreports.aspx?appid=9abb1b44-4b99-4314-8b3c-3dc2d73f8138 ,bPageView=1 ,bPageMode=0 ,bGetBuildDependencySet=0 ,bstrCurrentFolderUrl=<null> ,iRequestVersion=0 ,bMainFileRequest=0

I wish it would tell me what file it is trying to find.
Mar 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Just an update, I've tested with SP1 based install source and still have the same problem.

Today I'll manually build a single server farm (no autospinstaller), use the wizard to set up search and see if it's any different...
Mar 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Further update: Just did a from same source, but not using AutoSPInstaller, install (man that's horrid! - no scripts) and Search Analytics work fine.

So it's either something in my AUtoSPInstaller config, or it's something in AutoSPInstaller itself...

acou1304: have you made any progress?
Mar 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Hey guys,

One of my coworkers just troubleshot this issue. It looks like the search service account didn't have the required permissions to the search analytics db and the usage db.
I'll see if I can get more details from him tomorrow.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Thanks guys for keeping this going. Ivan, let me know what that turns up - in the meantime I'll try to check some of my recently-built farms for the same behavior.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.