Choosing a SharePoint install location instead of C: by default?

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Hello,

With AutoSPInstaller is there a way to select the drive where to install SharePoint 2013 elsewhere than the C: drive by default? ... I wanted to install it on E: in this case, there is not enough space on C: in my server.

I configured the xml AutoSpInstaller file with the AutoSPInstallerGUI but I didn't notice a place where to choose the install location...

Rgds,
Cyberphil
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM
You can specify the default data directory (which, yes, should be somewhere other than C:) but you'll need to get your hands dirty and edit the XML directly. However, if your C: drive is already running out of space then you clearly have other issues that need to be resolved before you try installing SharePoint.

Brian
Jun 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I saw this post and had a question...

The data dir in the xml states

"<!-- DataDir is the location to use to store the SharePoint data files, including (by default) the search index files (on a drive letter that must exist on all SharePoint servers in the farm)
         If you don't specify a value, the default location of %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data or %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data (based on SharePoint version) is used -->"
In the SharePoint wizard, the index location is default %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data and the install location is %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers.

So, is the DataDir node in xml directly related to the install location in the wizard for specifying an alternate install location other than C drive? I only ask as the description didn't really explain this coherently in my opinion. I have my own scripts I've been using for years, but want to try this install script and feel comfortable with how the script is laid out and works.

Thanks