Mar 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Hello all:

The Pre-Requisite Installer is failing with the below error. "Unrecognized command line argument Parameter name: gac."

I even installed the Windows Server AppFabric along with the Client Cache manually but the error is still poping up.

Could someone help resolve this error.
  • Installing Prerequisite Software:
    • Running Prerequisite Installer (offline mode)................................Done.
    • Prerequisite Installer completed in 00:02:25.
  • SharePoint 2013 "missing hotfix" prerequisites...
  • Checking for KB2554876...Already installed.
  • Checking for KB2708075...Already installed.
  • Checking for KB2472264...Already installed.
    WARNING: 2013-03-13 16:09:16 - Error: The tool was unable to install Windows
    Server AppFabric.

WARNING: 2013-03-13 16:09:16 - Last return code (0X1000=4096)

• Script halted!
  • Review the log file and try to correct any error conditions.

Press any key to exit...

| Automated SP2013 install script |
| Started on: 3/13/2013 4:06:36 PM |

| Aborted: 3/13/2013 4:09:57 PM |

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Mar 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Thanks Brian, I don't think my problem is related to the Task Scheduler Service as the service is already running and in the registry it is setup to run automatically as listed in the above thread.

I'm sort of stuck.
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM
You stated you tried installing AppFabric manually. Did you use the right switches?

WindowsAppFabric_x64.exe /i CacheClient,CachingService,CacheAdmin /gac

And make sure you're using this version of App Fabric:
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Thanks Wahid for your response. No, I did not use the /gac switch rather just ran the executable and selected Client and Client Admin tools additionally.

Let me try the command line you sent and will post the feedback. Once again much appreciate your help.
Mar 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM
@Wahid - I downloaded the file from the link you provided and ran it as below:

PS Z:\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles> .\WindowsServerAppFabricSetup_x64.exe /i CacheClient,CachingService,CacheAdmin /gac

Now I'm getting another error: "Duplicate command line argument. Parameter name: install.

The installation fails after this error.
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Tried the AutoSPInstaller script to install SP2013 on a newly built single server VM with DC & SQL running on the same Windows Server 2008 R2. Still failing with the below error:

WARNING: 2013-03-15 22:35:28 - Error: The tool was unable to install Windows Server AppFabric.

WARNING: 2013-03-15 22:35:28 - Last return code (0X1005=4101)

• Script halted!
Tried installing Windows Server AppFabric manually with /gac option, it doesn't work, tried with /i and no other parameters, it looks like it has installed AppFabric, but when I run the AutoSPInstaller, it fails again at the same step mentioned in the original post.
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:07 AM
I installed each individual pre-requisite using a command line and skipped the AppsFabric, prerequisiteinstaller.exe automatically downloaded the install package and installed it. I guess the problem is with the file I'm using, I went to the software/hardware requirements page and downloaded the file from there. Also I tried with the file provided in Wahid's reply. After that I re-ran the AutoSPInstaller and it went through the phase of pre-requisites installation without any problems.

So, the question is how can I determine what is the correct Windows Server AppFabric file I should download so that the AutoSPInstaller can run it without any problems? I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

This was my script to run the pre-requisites:

prerequisiteinstaller.exe /SQLNCLi:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\sqlncli.msi /PowerShell:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\Windows6.1-KB2506143-x64.msu /NETFX:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64.exe /IDFX:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu /Sync:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\Synchronization.msi /IDFX11:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\MicrosoftIdentityExtensions-64.msi /MSIPCClient:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\setup_msipc_x64.msi /WCFDataServices:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\WcfDataServices.exe /KB2671763:C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\AppFabric1.1-RTM-KB2671763-x64-ENU.exe
Mar 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Have progressed further, but another issue is popping up now. The script can't reboot the server for some reason, I tried to reboot manually and re-ran the script but still the same problem persists.

• Provisioning Managed Metadata Service Application
  • Starting Managed Metadata Service:
  • Managed Metadata Service already started.

- Managed Metadata Service Application already provisioned.

- Starting ...

• Script halted!
  • An error occurred starting
    Press any key to exit...__________
Mar 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Please pardon my ignorance as this is the first time I'm running the AutoSPInstaller script. It looks like the SharePoint 2013 has been installed successfully as I could navigate to the sites and the CA site. I'm wondering is this the end of AutoSPInstaller Script that requires a reboot and to finish it's work or there is something left over after the step of Managed Metadata service application.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I tried slipstreaming with AutoSPSourceBuilder, but it didn't work either. The AutoSPINstaller Script still stops at the AppFabric 1.1 installation phase.
Mar 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I got the AppFabric issue resolved by pre-installing the correct package with the /i option. Here is what I did:

md C:\29d3eb01b7c242aa8887
Copy C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\SharePoint\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\WindowsServerAppFabricSetup_x64.exe C:\29d3eb01b7c242aa8887
cd C:\29d3eb01b7c242aa8887
WindowsServerAppFabricSetup_x64.exe /i CacheClient,CachingService,CacheAdmin /gac
C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat C:\Fileshare\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerInput-SPS15.xml

Now, the script goes on and installs SharePoint 2013. However the script is still halting after it starts the Managed Metadata Service Application. The script needs to restart the machine but for some reason it can't. Please see the log entries mentioned above in my March 16 reply.

Any thoughts about how to overcome this issue? I need some help please.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Have you tried the latest version? It offers a bit more stability around creating the Managed Metadata service app.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2015 at 2:23 PM
I also had this issue with an error message window when installing the AppFabric:
"Command line syntax error. Specify /? for help. Unrecognized command line argument. Parameter name: gac.  [OK]"
I had to do an offline install of the prerequisites and gather all files manualy.
I used the requirements article of Bill Baer:
Unfortunately his link of "Windows Server AppFabric" links to the version 1.0 of the AppFabric and AutoSPInstaller wants the version 1.1!

So better use this download:
"Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server"

Took me half a day ... <sigh>