When we can expect first stable version for SP 2013

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Dear Brian,
Thank you for the great script you have done ! are you planning to release new stable version for SP 2013 ? any estimated date ?

Many Thanks & Best Regards .
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM
I too, would like to know this.
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Not sure what you mean by stable. I just installed on top of ws 2008 r2 with 2008 r2 last night. It took a few reboots/restarts, but it completed.

On Mar 8, 2013 10:41 PM, "hhancock" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I too, would like to know this.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Not sure what you mean by stable. I just installed on top of ws 2008 r2 with 2008 r2 last night. It took a few reboots/restarts, but it completed.

On Mar 5, 2013 1:09 AM, "aalabed" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Dear Brian,
Thank you for the great script you have done ! are you planning to release new stable version for SP 2013 ? any estimated date ?

Many Thanks & Best Regards .

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Hi,
In the release notes it is written there:
Package consisting of AutoSPInstaller (v3.x) files. The SharePoint / CodePlex community as always deserves big thanks for support, input and contributions! This release is considered stable for SP2010, but 'Beta' for SP2013.

The current release is Beta for SP2013

Mind there are some changes in term of architecture:
1- The Office Web is not part any more from SharePoint, it will be installed on dedicated farm servers .
2- The Workflow Service now can run on dedicated farm servers .

I really wish to see one stable release, running on Windows server 2012 , and SQL Server 2012.

Best Regards.
Mar 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I used AutoSPInstaller to setup my production SharePoint 2013 farm on top of Windows Server 2012 using SQL Server 2012. I did not install Office Web Apps (yet). I also did not install the workflow service. I did a fully offline installation. I ran into two issues
  1. I had to stage my servers with .Net 3.5.1 before I could run AutoSPInstaller. Note that this was discussed in another thread and has since been remedied to be compatible with offline installations.
  2. I did not use the default search index file locations on my servers and ran into permissions issues while using a least privileges approach. I do not think this has anything to do with AutoSPInstaller but is a SharePoint issue. I corrected the issue by temporarily giving my Search Service Account local admin rights on the servers that host the indexes and reconfigured the indexes appropriately using PowerShell.
Other than those two issues, I did not run into any issues related to AutoSPInstaller
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:17 AM
I have run the script successfully in my environment, that wasn't our question. As aalabed suggested, the documentation says 'Beta' for SharePoint 2013.
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM
aalabed wrote:
Hi,
In the release notes it is written there:
Package consisting of AutoSPInstaller (v3.x) files. The SharePoint / CodePlex community as always deserves big thanks for support, input and contributions! This release is considered stable for SP2010, but 'Beta' for SP2013.

The current release is Beta for SP2013

Mind there are some changes in term of architecture:
1- The Office Web is not part any more from SharePoint, it will be installed on dedicated farm servers .
2- The Workflow Service now can run on dedicated farm servers .

I really wish to see one stable release, running on Windows server 2012 , and SQL Server 2012.

Best Regards.
Aalabed, how did you get the Workflow service application installed? It seems that the script doesn't do it.
Mar 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Hi hhancock,
Actually one of the major changes in SharePoint 2013 is the workflow !, the new workflow is based on WWF 4.0 which has been re-written from scratch by Microsoft,
Here some useful links .

http://ranaictiu-technicalblog.blogspot.ae/2013/02/sharepoint-2013-workflow-manager.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj193478(v=azure.10).aspx

Best Regards.
Mar 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM
aalabed wrote:
Hi hhancock,
Actually one of the major changes in SharePoint 2013 is the workflow !, the new workflow is based on WWF 4.0 which has been re-written from scratch by Microsoft,
Here some useful links .

http://ranaictiu-technicalblog.blogspot.ae/2013/02/sharepoint-2013-workflow-manager.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj193478(v=azure.10).aspx

Best Regards.
I understand that this has changed in SharePoint 2013 but I was wondering how you provisioned the service application. Auto SP Installer does not create this application like it does when you create a SharePoint farm using the configuration wizard.

Thanks for these resources, I will take a look at them :)
Mar 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2013 at 4:35 AM
I tried SharePoint 2013 installation on below environment:
  1. AD-DC running on Windows Server 2012
  2. SQL Server 2008 R2 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
  3. SharePoint 2013 Server running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
When I run the AutoSPInstaller, I am getting "Unrecognized command line argument Parameter name: gac." error for Windows Server AppFabric and the installation fails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Well for what it's worth, I too have used AutoSPInstaller for Production installs :) so I suppose I should upgrade its status to 'Stable'. I was going to do that once I'm ready to label it v4 and stabilize it just a bit more. But I definitely wouldn't let the 'Beta' label hold you back from using it - especially if you've had success with your own testing.

Hope this helps (and watch out for the 'Stable' release v4 in the coming weeks!)

Brian