SharePoint 2010 Sp2 upgrade using SPAutoInstaller

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Hi Brain et All,

An year back we setup our farm using SPAutoinstaller with SharePoint 2010 and SP1. Our farm mid sized with 2 WFE's & 3 APP servers. Currently we are in a need of upgrading the farm to SP2.

Is there any guidance already available for Sp2 upgrade to existing farm using SPAutoinstaller? Or we need to modify the powershell scripts?

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM

You should be able to slip-stream sp2

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Hi Rick,

Is there any instructions or guidelines to slipstream SP2 alone without SharePoint setup? I mean we just need SP2 install to our farm. Not the whole SharePoint installation.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I may have spoken too soon. I failed to read that this was an upgrade (I know, doah!). Maybe Brian can chime in.. (I have not attempted to upgrade a service pack via autospinstaller). My apologies.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Uh, when did SP2 get released?  Anyhow AutoSPInstaller doesn't do this type of upgrade, only installs of slipstreamed media for new servers/farms.

Besides, installing a service pack would hardly be worth scripting IMO. It's a few clicks on each server in the farm, both to do the install and run PSConfigUI.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Sorry for the confusion. SP2 is not yet released. Latest is Dec 2012 CU.

But even for SP patching, we faced some issues with Project server 2007 .

This happened because we missed to stop the SharePoint timer-jobs while patching and there are few guidelines to do patching.

Anyways PSConfigUI will do it for us on CU, Its nice to add a feature for SP/CU patching in AutoSPInstaller, which eventually became a standard for SharePoint installations in most of the organizations.