Decouple from environment variables and folder structure

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I'm developing Mi-DevEnv ( this project enables one to automatically build developer VM's which then auto-install products and tools such as SQL,CRM,SharePoint, Office etc. Right now, I can build 10 developer CRM machines at the same time, all with unique names, i.e they are all stand alone.

AutoSPInstaller seems bound to a folder structure where customised config files are dependant on a preset folder structure, and also bound to environment variables. Effectively, I think, you can only build one farm at a time, then you have to refresh the config files, and do the next target.

Can you change AutoSPI to use PS variables, which could initially be defaulted from the environment, and also alter/introduce variables so I can specify paths, rather than them be derived/assumed based on your current folder structure? i.e. a fully qualified path to the install files (which for me is a network location).

My approach is to have the VM "build itself" after SysPrep, so all my customised scripts/response files are injected into the VM, then it executes the Setup.Exe for products and passes its config file in on the command line.

Welcome your thoughts and questions if you need clarification about what's "bugging me"

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM

This sounds interesting... can you give me an example of one of the variables, and/or how it's currently not working for you?

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I guess my issue is with the folder structure. You propose having the install files as a sub-directory, along side the AutoSP stuff.

All the unattended installs I use, I write the response file onto the virtual machine I'm building, then it references the install files from a network location. How I have got AutoSP to run so far is by customising the xml's and then copying them into the location where you need them. If I had variables I could setup, I'd write the custom xml's on to a VM, set a variable in the scripts on the VM which tell it where to get other files from, like the install files and config xmls.

In a nutshell, if you had a variable which specified either the root to a folder which contained the config files and a variable which was the path to the install files then I'd be good.

If you like we can setup a screen share at some point and I can talk you through what I'm doing as I'd really love to get our projects aligned. They are highly complimentary.

Best regards,

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Brian I have now created a video which shows you what Mi-DevEnv is all about. It will give you an idea about my project and the context of my observations of how to integrated AutoSPInstaller with Mi-DevEnv.

Drop me a line and I will be able to use this as a reference for further discussion on automating the setup of environments that don't just have SP in them, but CRM, SQL and all the development tools.