SQL Server Remission for Install Account

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Hello

I just got a question regarding SP install account, usually when you install SharePoint manually, the installer/admin account doesn't need to have sysadmin role in SQL Server. Can I please know why AutoSPinstaller require the install account to have sysadmin role?

Many Thanks.!

Summer

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM

As far as I recall, we only need sysadmin in these cases:

• We are provisioning the PerformancePoint service app, and using SharePoint 2010 prior to Service Pack 1. Because of limitations/bugs in the cmdlet to provison PerformancePoint, we required sysadmin in order to properly rename the database to match the naming convention we specified in AutoSPInstallerInput.xml. However we should almost never encounter this nowadays since most installs should include SP1.
  • We are installing SharePoint 2013, and Max Degree of Parallelism is not yet configured on the SQL instance. In this case, the account needs sysadmin rights to make the change to SQL at a server/instance level. This is a new feature in SP2013, whereby MaxDOP=1 is enforced by the SharePoint install process (not AutoSPInstaller itself).

Brian

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Thanks brianlala

It was SharePoint 2010 RTM that I was going to install. Thanks for you answer, all clear now!!!!