AutoSPInstaller Cannot Create Metadata or User Profile Service Applications

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM

First, I want to say thanks for all the long hours that have gone into this work.

I am working on a multi-server environment, with my goal being to have 2 Web Front End servers and 1 App Server. The WFE's will run only the Query services and the App server will run all the others. I ran the script successfully on the first WFE, then began the App Server.

I continue to either see the screen apparently "hang" when "Creating the Metadata Service Application..." or I get an error that doesn't tell much. But whether it's the Metadata or User Profile Service Application, the ULS log always shows the following error in SQL (At least it always shows the first line - since I actually found the error with more info I pasted THAT)....

Can not connect to configuration database: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\SP10AppServer$'.    
 at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)   
 at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)   
 at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)   
 at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.OpenConnection()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior, SqlQueryData monitoringData, Boolean retryForDeadLock)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, Boolean retryForDeadLock)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.GetVersion(SPDatabase database, Guid id, Version defaultVersion, SqlSession session, SPDatabaseSequence sequence)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPDatabaseSequence.get_SchemaVersion()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSequence.get_IsBackwardsCompatible()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeSession.IsBackwardsCompatible(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.get_IsBackwardsCompatible()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedUpgradableObject.ValidateBackwardsCompatibility()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.Initialize(SqlConnectionStringBuilder connectionString, Boolean enableCaching, Boolean checkCompatibility, Boolean bindRequestGuid)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.Initialize(SqlConnectionStringBuilder connectionString, Boolean enableCaching, Boolean checkCompatibility)   

Why is it attempting to log into SQL as my server name? 

I've researched others' issues on here and there seems to always be a question about the "common names" of service accounts.  I was careful not to change anything about ANY of the common names.  When I set the input file to skip these two service applications, all other services are installed/configured without issue.  Any ideas?