Cannot create site collection for Main Portal - Single Server Dev Envronment

May 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I've been wrestling with this a bit and added some additional logging to the output:

- Creating web applications...

- Web app "Portal Home" already provisioned.

- Creating Site Collection "http://SP2010"...

executing "" = New-SPSite -Url "http://SP2010" -OwnerAlias "PTECH\SP_PortalAppPool" -SecondaryOwnerAlias "PTECH\Administrator" -ContentDatabase "DEV_PortalHome_Content" -Description "Portal Home" -Name "Portal Home" -Language "1033" -Template "SPSPORTAL#0" -ErrorAction Stop

--------------------------------------------------------------

- Script aborted!

Exception : Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Provisioning did not succeed. Details: The site template was not provisioned successfully. Delete this site collection in Central Administration, and then create

a new site collection. OriginalException: Feature with Id 'c85e5759-f323-4efb-b548-443d2216efb5' is not installed in this farm, and cannot be added to this scope. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPExc

eption: Feature with Id 'c85e5759-f323-4efb-b548-443d2216efb5' is not installed in this farm, and cannot be added to this scope. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <na

tivehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Feature with Id 'c85e5759-f323-4efb-b548-443d2216efb5' is not installed in this farm, and cannot be added to this scope.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTempl

ateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, S

tring& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, S

tring& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.CreatePortal(String xmlFile, SPWeb rootWeb)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.CreatePortal(String xmlFile, SPWeb rootWeb)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.<>c__DisplayClass3.<Provision>b__0()

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Utilities.CultureUtility.RunWithCultureScope(CodeToRunWithCultureScope code)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.CmsSecurityUtilities.RunWithWebCulture(SPWeb web, CodeToRun webCultureDependentCode)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.Provision(SPWebProvisioningProperties properties)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSiteCollection.Add(SPContentDatabase database, SPSiteSubscription siteSubscription, String siteUrl, String title, String description, UInt32 nLCID, Str

ing webTemplate, String ownerLogin, String ownerName, String ownerEmail, String secondaryContactLogin, String secondaryContactName, String secondaryContactEmail, String quotaTemplate, String sscR

ootWebUrl, Boolean useHostHeaderAsSiteName)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSite.CreateDataObject()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPNewCmdletBase`1.InternalProcessRecord()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdlet.ProcessRecord()

TargetObject : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSite

CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...SPCmdletNewSite:SPCmdletNewSite) [New-SPSite], SPException

FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSite

ErrorDetails :

InvocationInfo : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo

PipelineIterationInfo : {0, 1}

PSMessageDetails :

That feature is:

DisplayName

Title

ID

Scope

SolutionId

ExpirationWorkflow

Disposition Approval Workflow

c85e5759-f323-4efb-b548-443d2216efb5

Site

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

I deleted both the web app and content database and ran the script again, but got examctly the same result.

Coordinator
May 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM

It looks like something went wrong earlier in the config phase (the series of PS cmdlets that replace the Configuration Wizard), because it's complaining that a required feature isn't installed in the farm. Try running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, and if that doesn't do it, a farm rebuild may be necessary.

Brian

May 8, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Thanks for looking at this.  I literally spent the whole day looking at this and just figured it out.  There were a couple of factors contributing.  I created the Alias manually and added server\instancename to the server line of the configuration dialog.  I also missed a few password prompts.  Then, using PowerGUI, I managed to stumble over my own shoes.  It was painful, but educational.  The first trip through the process can be a little rough if anything goes wrong.  I'll try to think of a way that it could be either easier to use or easier to understand.  There's no way to get around having to know enough to make the decisions necessary, but it seems like I should be able to come up with a way to simplify getting the information complete and correct without having to run iterations of "what did I miss or break now" =-o.

Thanks again.  Dan