Enterprise Search Error

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I have used AutoSPInstaller on two different servers and continue to receive the "Search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component."

I have tried:

  1. Deleting the search service and recreating it using central administration
  2. Deleting the search service and and recreating using Configuration Wizard 
  3. Ensuring that the permission are correct on the share.
  4. Checking security on the databases.
  5. Choosing a different application pool.
  6. Elevating everything to farm account.

Nothing seems to work. I am pulling out whats left of my hair!!! 


<EnterpriseSearchService Provision="true"
                                 InternetIdentity="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows NT; MS Search 6.0 Robot)"
                                 IndexLocation="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data\Office Server\Applications"
                <EnterpriseSearchServiceApplication Name="Search Service Application"
                    <ApplicationPool Name="SharePoint Enterprise Search Application Pool" Account="Domain\sp_Search" Password="xxxxx" />
                        <Server Name="localhost" />
                        <Server Name="localhost" />
                        <Server Name="localhost" />
                        <Server Name="localhost" />
                        <ApplicationPool Name="SharePoint Enterprise Search Application Pool" Account="Domain\sp_search" />
                    <Proxy Name="Search Service Application" Partitioned="false">
                        <ProxyGroup Name="Default" />
Nov 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Check your Config XML

<EnterpriseSearchServiceApplication .... ContentAccessAccountPWD="xxxxxx">    changed to   ContentAccessAccountPassword

hope that´s the solution


Nov 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Actually it's more obvious than that... you have a typo - instead of loacalhost you should have localhost 

That should take care of it...and yes as @tradmancp says you need to update your XML too for the latest version of AutoSPInstaller.


Nov 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The Loacalhost typo was a replacement didn't want to post my servernames the actual XML has correct names.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Few questions.

How many servers are in this farm? Is there any firewalls or group Policy in place?

What does "dbserver" point to? is it an Alias?

It appears to me you are saying that the issue happens with Search in general whether you AutoSPInstaller, Config Wizard or Central Admin. is this correct?


It seems also this may help http://davidbajak.com/blog/post/2011/09/29/Fix-SharePoint-2010-Enterprise-Search-After-Using-AutoSPInstaller-Script-Installer.aspx

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

This is a test environment, with two server farm and windows 2008 R2 x64 installed on both. 

Firewalls and group policy are not an issue

dbserver is an alias

After using AutoSPInstaller I can't get search to work no matter what I do.  I've provisioned sharepoint without it and search works fine.

I've used the method provided in the link to no avail.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I had a very similar problem, and it turned out that I needed to set the SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsService Start="true" in the earlier <services> section of the XML file.

I had set it to false there, assuming that the identical entry in the EnterpriseSearch section had replaced it, but evidently not.


            <SandboxedCodeService Start="true" />
            <ClaimsToWindowsTokenService Start="true" />
            <SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsService Start="true" />
            <SMTP Install="true" />
            blah blah blah

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Shouldn't have to set <SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsService Start="true" /> earlier in the XML, in fact I may remove that altogether because it doesn't really make sense outside the context of the EnterpriseSearch section. That service should only be started on servers that have the Query role (e.g. WFEs) and all this role stuff is taken care of in the EnterpriseSearch section of the XML.

I've recently added some inline comments to try to clear up roles etc., hope they help.