installing sharepoint prerequisites is in endless loop

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2011 at 3:12 PM

ok I have one I have not yet seen. Apparently while trying to follow instructions for downloading the latest Sharepoint updates I ended up with a version that is causing issues. Every time start the autoinstaller it begins running the prerequisites installer and ends with this

 

I finally got frustrated enough with the logs that I started running the Prerequisites installer outside of the autoinstaller just in the hope I could see what was breaking it. Now I seem to be in an endless loop of the pre-req install not finishing and reporting that the install is pending a system re-start. The first thing in the install report is about just adding the Application Server role, or the failure to do so.. the log tail is below...

2011-10-25 09:02:13 - SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in
2011-10-25 09:02:13 - Reading the following string value/name...
2011-10-25 09:02:13 - Version
2011-10-25 09:02:13 - from the following registry location...
2011-10-25 09:02:13 - SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Report Server SharePoint Addin\CurrentVersion
2011-10-25 09:03:20 - Opening log file
2011-10-25 09:03:20 - Opened action for user

I can't seem to track what is causing my system to NOT finish setting up the Application Role. I'm not paniced because the point of this excercise is to be come more familiar with these scripts and the power they have... I hate to roll back... has anyone seen this before?

In case I jabbered as I was typing... everytime I allow the system to restart it comes back up running the prerequisite installer again... seems to fail everytime at the same place. At this point I think I will just have to kill the process but I am not sure the best way to recover from this and begin again.

 

  - Installing Prerequisite Software
  - Running Prerequisite Installer..
    .WARNING: 2011-10-24 15:45:28 - Error: A pending restart blocks the installationWARNING: 2011-10-24 15:45:28 - Last return code (0X3E9=1001)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Sounds like a general error with your local update store (as opposed to something that AutoSPInstaller introduces into the process). I would recommend removing all of the updates from your system one by one, and failing that, start from scratch with a clean OS. I presume your current OS is relatively fresh?

Brian

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM

yeah I think you are correct. I have manually remove any roles that had already existed. I am running the prereqs independant of the AutoInstaller just in case. I want to see if the usual installer fails.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:40 PM

This is what I have after the first run... kinda ominous since this was what I had the last time. We'll see what happens after the restart. I just don't know where to go except to re-install server like you mentioned. Hate to do that.

• Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role: configuration error - pending restart of the computer

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client: was already installed (no action taken)

• Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462): equivalent products already installed (no action taken)

• Windows Identity Foundation (KB974405): Installation skipped

• Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x64): Installation skipped

• Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5: Installation skipped

• Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0: Installation skipped

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services ADOMD.NET: Installation skipped

• Microsoft Server Speech Platform Runtime (x64): Installation skipped (optional component)

• Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language - TELE(en-US): Installation skipped (optional component)

• SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in: Installation skipped (optional component)

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM

If you manually installed IIS, I suggest that you remove it and let the prerequisites installer take care of it. It seems you have an error with the IIS Role.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM

yeah tried that one as well. I think its just simple Gremlins! The server was setup for me by the systems folk. I have sent them instructions as to what I was trying to accomplish and challenge them to get'er done. I am hoing I will end up with a fresh install and try once more. Thanks for all the tips guys/gals

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:12 AM

I've run into this as well, same scenario; either an image was used to deploy IIS or they used an IIS deployment tool. This should fix it:

To delete the orphaned PendingFileRenameOperations registry key

  1. Open a registry editor, such as Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe.

  2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

  3. In the right navigation pane, right-click the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.

  4. Close Registry Editor

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM
wahidsaleemi wrote:

I've run into this as well, same scenario; either an image was used to deploy IIS or they used an IIS deployment tool. This should fix it:

To delete the orphaned PendingFileRenameOperations registry key

  1. Open a registry editor, such as Regedit.exe or Regedt32.exe.

  2. Navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\

  3. In the right navigation pane, right-click the PendingFileRenameOperations key and select Delete.

  4. Close Registry Editor


thanks, tried that as well. I finally just wiped the server. I think it was the WAS services that was blocking me.