GUIDs for AppPool Names

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I noticed that for certain service applications, regardless of the "name" given in the input file, the IIS Application Pool ends up being a GUID. Is there a way to change the names of these apps? In particular, I'm thinking of the enterprise search service app.

-Dave C.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hi Dave,

I confirmed that as well. I think there's a problem with the script variable $appConfig. Its looking under "$svcConfig.EnterpriseSearchServiceApplications.EnterpriseSearchServiceApplication" (which is needed to get Database info) but that's one level too deep for the AppPool ("$svcConfig.EnterpriseSearchServiceApplications.ApplicationPool").

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Actually Wahid I thought (hoped) you were on to something there but unfortunately ApplicationPool is under EnterpriseSearchServiceApplications.EnterpriseSearchServiceApplication.

I believe I addressed this in another post, but there appears to be something strange with the New-SPServiceApplicationPool cmdlet. Even if you specify a friendly name (as we have done in the script for the Search App Pool), the app pool in IIS still gets created with a GUID.

We can confirm that the friendly name we specified really did get picked up by the script though by simply doing a Get-SPServiceApplicationPool and inspecting the values under the Name column:

Name                                     ProcessAccountName
----                                     ------------------
SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool      CONTOSO\SP_FarmAccount
SharePoint Enterprise Search Applicat... CONTOSO\SP_SearchServiceAcct
SharePoint Hosted Services               CONTOSO\SP_AppPoolAccount
SharePoint Web Services System           CONTOSO\SP_FarmAccount

You can even try creating an app pool after the fact(using New-SPServiceApplicationPool), and specifying a name - it will still be identified by a GUID in IIS' Application Pools list.

The even stranger thing is, the SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool somehow did get its name set properly in IIS!

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM

After doing more researchI believe this behavior is by design. One of those GUID-to-ensure-uniqueness strategies in the product I suppose. The friendly name we've specified appears as such when doing a Get-SPServiceApplicationPool and when listing app pools in Central Admin (e.g. on the /_admin/FarmCredentialManagement.aspx page) but in IIS the app pool shows up as a GUID.

Note this is different for app pools associated with web applications - these do appear as friendly names, maybe because they're not Service application pools strictly speaking.