$env:COMPUTERNAME length problem

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Hey guys,

Great build script. I wanted to make you all aware of a problem I ran into that took a while for me to track down.

When I built my dev server I called it \\Sharepoint2010Dev - which windows server 2008 allowed me to do. I noticed after the build script I was having problems with search and I noticed that the servername was referenced as \\Sharepoint2010D  (noticed that the server name is truncated from the actual netbios computer name).  In looking in your scripts you reference the $env:COMPUTERNAME operating system environment variable. When I do a "set" command on this system I noticed that it is listing the truncated 15 character computername.  Since the computername is truncated and invalid the hostname does not resolve on the network and hence causes a variety of issues.

I wanted to recommend in the build script that you check to ensure that the $env:COMPUTERNAME environment variable actually is correct and matches the real netbios name of the computer.

Thanks for all the work you put in on this script

Andy

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Simply limiting your computername to 15 characters (a good IT practice for nearly as long as Windows has been around) will avoid a name mismatch between DNS and NetBIOS, and completely avoid this issue (and likely others too). Allowing Windows to truncate your NetBIOS name is asking for trouble, IMO :)

Cheers
Brian

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

You are not meant to have more than 15 characters (NETBIOS name)

cheers

mjksgea