Documentation Submission: Uninstall

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Hey Guys,

we just picked up AutoSPInstaller last week (wish it's had been around a year ago when we built our first production SP2010 environment...) and it's excellent!

I'm just starting to build some build documentation around it for our internal use and figured I'd share bits of it. So here's the first bit:

What you need to do to uninstall SP2010 sufficiently to be able to re-install it.

1. Uninstall Office Web Apps
  2. Uninstall SP2010
  3. Remove any ForefrontIdentityManager certificates from the local computer store. Usually under:
    1. Personal\Certificates
    2. Trusted Root Certification Authorities\Certificates
    3. Trusted People\Certificates
  4. Remove any SP folders on the file system (you may need to reboot first) that may have been left behind
    1. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions
    2. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14
    3. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SERVER14
    4. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers
    5. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss
  5. Remove any Databases associated with this particular SP install
  6. Remove any IIS sites/app pools that may have been left behind
  7. Check that Office Web Apps has de-installed properly:
    1. Using Regedit go to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18
    2. Search for "Microsoft Office Web Apps" and remove any keys (under the current place in the tree) that it finds.

Optional steps:

1. Uninstall the pre-requisits
    1. Microsoft Chart Controls for Microosft .NET Framework 3.5
    2. Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0
    3. Microsoft Server Speech Platform Runtime
    4. Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language - ...
    5. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services ADOMD.NET
    6. Microsoft SQL Server 2008+ Native Client
    7. Microosft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0
    8. SQL 2008+ Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add-in
  2. Uninstall the Adobe PDF iFilter 9
  3. Remove SP2010 related Domain Accounts from Local Groups:
    1. Farm Account from: DCOM Users, IIS_IUSRS, Performance Log Users, Performance Monitor Users
    2. Network Service from: DCOM Users
    3. Content Pool accounts from: IIS_IUSRS, Performance Monitor Users
    4. Service Pool accounts from: IIS_IUSRS, Performance Log Users, Performance Monitor Users
    5. Farm Administrators (not Farm Account) that need to use MIIS console or start/provision UPS Sync Service from: Forefront Identity Manager Operators
      If you leave these accounts in there, you may save yourself a logout/login when re-installing.
  4. Maybe take away Local Activation from NETWORK SERVICE for the FIM Sync Service in DCOM. Though you'll likely need to add it back again before installing (at least before any FIM activity kicks off.)

Thoughts and comments welcome.

I'm about to post pre- and post- install bits as well.

Later'ish
Craig

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Cool stuff....

I did find that trying to uninstall the language pack after uninstalling SP2010 caused some anomalities on the server. In one scenario we had to rebuild the vm being used.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262874.aspx 

Cheers

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Thanks for that. Yeah, we don't use the language packs, so I hadn't included it in the uninstall.  I'm guessing it has tendancies similar to Office Web Apps and leaves reg keys lying around.