Language Pack affects rights-provisioning

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I´m Using V2.5

If Language Packs are installed, the Metadata Service Provisioning ...

$MetadataServiceAppSecurity -Principal $AccountPrincipal -Rights "Full Access to Term Store"

...and the Profile Service Provisioning ...

Grant-SPObjectSecurity $ProfileServiceAppSecurity -Principal $MySiteAppPoolAcctPrincipal -Rights

"Full Control" 

... throw errors.

- Granting rights to Metadata Service Application...
Grant-SPObjectSecurity : The pipeline has been stopped.
At C:\SP2010\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:1292 char:34
+ Grant-SPObjectSecurity <<<< $MetadataServiceAppSecurity -Principal $AccountPrincipal -Rights "Full Access to Term Store"
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...tObjectSecurity:SPCmdletGrantObjectSecurity) [Grant-SPObjectSecurity], PipelineStoppedException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletGrantObjectSecurity
Grant-SPObjectSecurity : Das Argument 'Rights' ist ungültig. Gültige Werte sind: Lesezugriff auf den Terminologiespeicher, Lese- und eingeschränkter Schreibzugriff auf den Terminologiespeicher, Vollzugriff auf den Terminologiespeicher
At C:\SP2010\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:1292 char:34
+ Grant-SPObjectSecurity <<<< $MetadataServiceAppSecurity -Principal $AccountPrincipal -Rights "Full Access to Term Store"
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Share...tObjectSecurity:SPCmdletGrantObjectSecurity) [Grant-SPObjectSecurity], SPException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletGrantObjectSecurity

In this case it complains, that the string in the "-Rights" Property is unknown, because it only accepts it in the language of the before installed language-pack.

Any suggestions? Why does the language-pack influence the parameters of those services?

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:29 AM
Hi guys I am getting this same issue granting rights with French locale and I would love to know how this can be resolved.
I tried changing the plain text "Full Rights" for the french language in the autospinstaller functions script but it still did not get past this issue.
I am installing French version Sharepoint 2013 sp1 mk2 without language packs on server 2012 r2. I use latest French language sept 2015 cu.

Can we prevent grant-spobjectsecurity from trying to use French language in the -rights section?
Nov 7, 2015 at 2:13 AM
I've only ever worked with the English language based version of SharePoint (plus packs for other languages), but have tried to make things as language-agnostic as possible. This may be one of those cases though where the benefit would be outweighed by my having to test every scenario with every language - unless someone knows of way to "generalize" the granting of rights as in the example above?

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:16 PM
thqanks Brian,

I altered the following lines in AutoSPinstaller to get this to work for me:

Changed to the French language:
C:\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 (7 hits)
Line 2438:                     Grant-SPObjectSecurity $metadataServiceAppSecurity -Principal $accountPrincipal -Rights "Magasin de termes avec accès total"
Line 3175:                 Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppSecurity -Principal $currentUserAcctPrincipal -Rights "Contrôle total"
Line 3176:                 Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppPermissions -Principal $currentUserAcctPrincipal -Rights "Contrôle total"
Line 3177:                 Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppPermissions -Principal $spServiceAcctPrincipal -Rights "Contrôle total"
Line 3182:                     Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppSecurity -Principal $mySiteAppPoolAcctPrincipal -Rights "Contrôle total"
Line 3188:                     Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppSecurity -Principal $portalAppPoolAcctPrincipal -Rights "Contrôle total"
Line 3197: Grant-SPObjectSecurity $profileServiceAppSecurity -Principal $contentAccessAcctPrincipal -Rights "Extrait les données de personnes pour les robots de recherche"

Hope that helps someone. (Other languages would need their equivalents for the -rights option of Grant-SPObjectSecurity)

Ralph Dalton