User Profile service unable to start

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I dont know if this something related to the spfarm account i created but after sharepoint is installed the User Profile service will not start.  I was wondering if anyone using this autoinstaller is having the same issues and could possibly offer me some guidance.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I might have figured out whats causing the problem but i definitly dont know how to correct it.  After I run thru the complete install the first thing i do is the cumlative update for March 3.  After you complete this update and run the psconfig command to finalize everything the user profile service will no longer start. 

It appears that there was an issue with the december update causing this very same problem but nothing on the march update.  I have followed everyones online guides on how to correct this but nothing has helped.  I do know that not appying the update leaves my environment working but i would like to stay up to date.

The reason why I am posting this here is becuase if i do a clean install using the wizard and let everything install default.  I do not have any issues with the update.  But if I install using the autoinstaller the update blows up the user profile service.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM

It appears im the only one reading this discussion (LOL) but i thought would keep up with my findings incase this is helpful to someone else.  It definitly appears to be something with the update.  I really thought it could be that I was removing the my site web app because my organization doesnt want to use that feature but that doesnt seem to effect the service.  Only after I run the update and then issue the psconfig command does the service stop working.

However I did find that if you bundle the update in with the install using the documentation provided in another topic everything works fine.  For now i am going to stick with installing the update during setup and pray that this doesnt screw up any future updates.

The update i am using is: office2010-kb2475878-fullfile-x64-glb.exe

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Slipstreaming Cumulative Updates is definitely the way to go. I know there was an update with the December CU, but mostly around NetBIOS names when doing user profile sync. Glad to hear that slipstreaming worked better for you though.

Brian

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM
stanleyj42 wrote:

It appears im the only one reading this discussion (LOL) but i thought would keep up with my findings incase this is helpful to someone else.  It definitly appears to be something with the update.  I really thought it could be that I was removing the my site web app because my organization doesnt want to use that feature but that doesnt seem to effect the service.  Only after I run the update and then issue the psconfig command does the service stop working.

However I did find that if you bundle the update in with the install using the documentation provided in another topic everything works fine.  For now i am going to stick with installing the update during setup and pray that this doesnt screw up any future updates.

The update i am using is: office2010-kb2475878-fullfile-x64-glb.exe

How do you manage to get the update working while installing sharepoint ?
I placed both update in the update folder but obviously the autoinstaller doesn't use them
C:\SP2010\Updates\office-kb2475878-fullfile-x64-glb.exe
C:\SP2010\Updates\office-kb2475880-fullfile-x64-glb.exe

Am I doing something wrong ?

Regards

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Nico,

This took me awhile to figure out also.  Here is a link to the instructions I used on how to extract the .msp files out of the .exe's.

http://blog.lekman.com/2010/11/automated-sharepoint-2010-installations.html

Open a command prompt and browse to the directory that has the hotfix exe. Run the following command:

<hotfix name> /extract:.\

Example:

office2010-kb2475878-fullfile-x64-glb.exe /extract:.\

You will then get prompted about the extraction.  Once complete copy all the .xml and .msp files in the update directory for autosp.

The hotfix exe's will no longer be needed.   Hope this helps. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Edited Apr 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Oh my god ...
Thank you so much. This helped me.

I read Tobias's topic but i did not understand that i had to use the command prompt.

Now it's better and it works

Regards.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM

i do have the same issue .. Last week i have been able to successuflly start the User profile Service application only once.
At first autospi tells me that i need to be part of admin to create this application, then he generates the script below (c:\AutoSPInstaller-ScriptBlock) and when i launch it says that the database already exsits ...

Write-Host -ForegroundColor White "Creating User Profile Service Application as DOMAIN\MOSS_SpAdmin..." Add-PsSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell $NewProfileServiceApp = New-SPProfileServiceApplication -Name "User Profile Service Application" -ApplicationPool "SharePoint Hosted Services" -ProfileDBName MOSS2010_ProfileDB -ProfileSyncDBName MOSS2010_SyncDB -SocialDBName MOSS2010_SocialDB -MySiteHostLocation "http://MAIA:8080" If (-not $?) {Write-Error " - Failed to create User Profile Service Application"; Write-Host "Press any key to exit..."; $null = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey("NoEcho,IncludeKeyDown")} $ProfileDBId = Get-SPDatabase | ? {$_.Name -eq "MOSS2010_ProfileDB"} Add-SPShellAdmin -UserName "DOMAIN\Moss_SpInstall" -database $ProfileDBId

In my case the xml configuration file contains this :

<ManagedAccount username="DOMAIN\MOSS_APWebSA" Password="inf24cr2" CommonName="mysiteapppool" />

<WebApplication type="MySiteHost"
                        name="MySite Host"
                        applicationPool="MySites"
                        applicationPoolAccount="DOMAIN\MOSS_APWebSA"
                        url="http://localhost"
                        port="8080"
                        databaseName="MySites_Content"
                        useClaims="True">
            <SiteCollections>
                <SiteCollection siteUrl="http://localhost:8080"
                                owner="DOMAIN\MOSS_APWebSA"
                                name="My Site Host"
                                description="My Site Host"
                                SearchUrl="http://localhost/search"
                                CustomTemplate="false"
                                Template="SPSMSITEHOST#0"
                                LCID="1036" />
            </SiteCollections>
            <ManagedPaths>
                <ManagedPath relativeUrl="personal" explicit="false"/>
                <ManagedPath relativeUrl="sites" delete="true" />
            </ManagedPaths>
        </WebApplication>

<UserProfileServiceApp Provision="True"
                               Name="User Profile Service Application"
                               ProxyName="User Profile Service Application"
                               EnableNetBIOSDomainNames="False"
                               StartProfileSync="True">
            <ProfileDB>ProfileDB</ProfileDB>
            <SyncDB>SyncDB</SyncDB>
            <SocialDB>SocialDB</SocialDB>
        </UserProfileServiceApp>

Does anyone know how to configure this service ?

Regards

Coordinator
May 8, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Did you eventually work around this? The last post indicates the DB already exists, so probably from a failed attempt.

Brian