More documentation, please.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM

AutoSPInstaller is a powerful tool but, please, we need more documentation.

A how to guide would be great. Maybe this can include:

• A standalone installation
  • A multi-server (farm) installation
  • Some tips and tweaks.
  • Etc.

Thanks in advanced.

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Working on it...!

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Thanks!! :)

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM

If the doc could include domain user that we should create with privelege, that would be very helpful.

Many Thanks

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:19 PM
Nico33 wrote:

If the doc could include domain user that we should create with privelege, that would be very helpful.

Many Thanks

You should be running this as the setup account, so you would use the same privileges detailed by Microsoft.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM
xthatdudex wrote:
Nico33 wrote:

Many Thanks

You should be running this as the setup account, so you would use the same privileges detailed by Microsoft.

I meant users, sorry.

With or without SPInstaller, i  think it's pretty hard to know how many users we have to create and configure for the least privilege installation of sharepoint.

This tool is fantastic, the only missing to make it perfect would be a documentation. I found lot's of "how to install sharepoint 2010 ", none of them have the same recommandation. Even from some guy that wrote 2 different tutorials.

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Hey guys, check out http://autospinstaller.codeplex.com/documentation - this is where all the stuff will eventually be posted. For now, I have included a link to Tobias' blog with some good info to get started.

Cheers
Brian

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Thank you sooooooo MUCH !

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM

It appears Tobias's documentation are based off the old format? There is a lot of very good info there but I had issues resolving bits of it with the new config file. (He actually doesn't get into the specifics of AutoSPInstaller all that much)

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

What app pool are the services installing with? 

Sharepoint Web Services Default or Sharepoint Web Services System?

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I finally had time to sit down and try to fill out the xml to try to get this working and some of these fields are very confusing as to what I should be entering. I do really like the hint lines but they stop about halfway through. Like what is the Superuser and SuperReader? What is the section with Portal Home? I did manage to figure these out (I think after doing a bunch of digging but it's not straight forward).

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:21 AM
stanleyj42 wrote:

What app pool are the services installing with? 

Sharepoint Web Services Default or Sharepoint Web Services System?

It depends, which services (or service apps) are you referring to?

Brian

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 5:13 AM

FYI all, a new Input XML file is on its way soon, with much better & complete inline comments to explain each parameter etc.

Brian

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Nico33 wrote:

Many Thanks

I'm working on a patch for the next release that allows you to run a script as a Domain Admin that will do all of the account creation and granting of privileges for profile synchronisation.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:57 AM
brianlala wrote:

FYI all, a new Input XML file is on its way soon, with much better & complete inline comments to explain each parameter etc.

Brian

I'll take a copy of whatever you got at this point.