Central admin not always created

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I'm doing a multi server setup with script version 2011-03-15 and sometimes the Central Admin doesn't get provisioned, even though it's set to "True".

Has anyone else run into this? Would it be possible to add some kind of extra verification of this in the script?

As always, thanks for an amazing resource!

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I think I found the cause for my problem. Central admin was not created in the following scenario (which is completely reasonable though). :)

1. Installed server 1 with script, applied language packs manually and ran configuration wizard.
  2. Installed server 2 with script - no central admin was created.

One shouldn't meddle with language pack installation before the entire farm is installed. :) We had some issues installting 4 language packs using the script, that's why I'm doing it manually.

Thanks for a great script!

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Good to hear - still doesn't make sense to me, but glad to hear it anyhow!

Brian

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I have seen this a number of times in my test environment, and I wind up running the config wizard, which I would rather not do.

The only thing that I can find that is amiss is that the script aborts reporting "A known (annoying) issue occurred loading the SharePoint Powershell snapin. We need to relaunch the script..." and then the script relaunches, creating a second .rtf file. Neither .rtf file contains any lines about provisioning Central Admin.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Does the CentralAdmin node in your XML look like this?

<!-- Which server(s) to provision CentralAdmin on. Specify "true" or a list of servers -->
        <CentralAdmin Provision="true">
            <Database>AdminContentDB</Database>
            <Port>2010</Port>
            <UseSSL>false</UseSSL>
        </CentralAdmin>

If not, can you post yours?

Brian

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Yes, except for the db name.

<!-- Which server(s) to provision CentralAdmin on. Specify "true" or a list of servers -->
        <CentralAdmin Provision="true">
            <Database>TESTAdminContentDB</Database>
            <Port>2010</Port>
            <UseSSL>false</UseSSL>
        </CentralAdmin>