Server Role and Package ID question

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM

In the default config.xml file we have the following code

<Package Id="sts">
    <Setting Id="LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPSTS" Value="Yes"/>

<Package Id="spswfe">
    <Setting Id="SETUPCALLED" Value="1"/>
    <Setting Id="OFFICESERVERPREMIUM" Value="1" />

<Logging Type="verbose" Path="%temp%" Template="SharePoint Server Setup(*).log"/>
  <Display Level="basic" CompletionNotice="No" AcceptEula="Yes"/>
  <Setting Id="SERVERROLE" Value="APPLICATION"/>
  <Setting Id="USINGUIINSTALLMODE" Value="1"/>
  <Setting Id="SETUPTYPE" Value="CLEAN_INSTALL"/>
  <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never"/>
  <Setting Id="AllowWindowsClientInstall" Value="True"/>

In my situation, I would like to run the script on the my first server as WFE only. So I disabled all the service applications in AutoSPInstallerInput-CONPUTERNAME.xml file. The installation went through successfully.

My question is

1. why I have both <Package Id="sps">and <Package Id="spswfe"> in my config.xml file if I want my first server as WFE server only?

2. why <Setting Id="SERVERROLE" Value="APPLICATION"/> for this WFE server works? If I run the script on second server as my APP server,  should I use the same setting <Setting Id="SERVERROLE" Value="APPLICATION"/> too? And what Package Id should I use. It seems <Package Id="spswfe"> does not make sense now.

3. When I run the script on second server the <Setting Id="SETUPTYPE" Value="CLEAN_INSTALL"/> still valid?

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Hi there, FYI the config.xml is not an artifact of the AutoSPInstaller, it's the standard input file that Microsoft defines the schema and use for (it's not exactly intuitive). See this article for details:

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Thanks Brian! That's is a great help!