Use of AutoSPInstaller for development workstation

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I was able to successfully autoSPinstall script to help me create/configure a farm running on my local Windows 7 development machine. Thought I'd share my experiences:

I wanted to use my local SQL Server 2008 instance, instead of the SQL Server Express that the "standalone" install uses (ie use the "farm" install, not "standalone". Fortunately, this worked for me for configuring the farm, so was quite useful, although there was manual work that needed to be done.

The steps I followed were:
1) Manually pre-requisites for running on Windows 7. Since this was a farm install, this included the MSChart component, and also required a hotfix (KB974405) for local accounts to be able to authenticate.

2) Manually run the SPS installer, after modifying config.xml as per microsoft instructions. Not sure in hindsignt if AutoSPInstaller could have helped me with this step.

3) I needed to manually enter the PID - it was not picked up from the config.xml file (in the root of the SPS binary folder) for some reason.

l4) Chose to install "farm" deployment (not standalone). This installed. I chose to not use the config wizard.

At this point, I was able to run the spautoinstaller script, but had a few problems:
a) When running the script, it was necessary to run it using a local account, not a domain account, as I was not connected to the domain at the time (but using cached credentials)

b) When creating site collections, the script seems to want to put the current user as the secondary admin. This was not working, so I modified one line of script to remove attempting to set the secondary admin.

c) User profile synch service won't start. Not an issue for my environment, so did not chase this one down

d) Setting the cache users specifying local users with the "MACHINE\user" format as used for other accounts failed. I just had to specify the username with no machine name.

It would be a cool feature to have AutoSPInstaller handle workstation deployment as well as it does for proper server farm deployment!

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Interesting findings, and thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, were you using the latest v2 Beta package?

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Yes, it was the v2 beta.