1

Closed

max degree of parallelism

description

During Setup of the Configuration Database, the Script ran into the error "max degree of parallelism". This can be configured as described in this TechNet Article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189094.aspx

Isn't this a good thing that can be set by the script itself?

Cheers,
Alex


New-SPConfigurationDatabase : This SQL Server instance does not have the required "max degree of parallelism" setting
of 1. Database provisioning operations will continue to fail if "max degree of parallelism" is not set 1 or the
current account does not have permissions to change the setting. See documentation for details on manually changing
the setting.
At C:\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:970 char:13
  • New-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName "$configDB" -DatabaseServe ...
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...urationDatabase:SPCmdletNewSPConfigurationDatabase) [New
      -SPConfigurationDatabase], SPException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSPConfigurationDatabase
Closed Apr 18, 2013 at 4:09 AM by brianlala
Explained workaround to Alex.

comments

ZachMillis wrote Mar 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I've run into the same thing when I use an install account that isn't a SysAdmin on SQL. If you're a SysAdmin I believe SharePoint is smart enough to change it for you, but I could be wrong.

What permissions does your account have on SQL?

-Zach

brianlala wrote Mar 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

It states right in the error message: "...the current account does not have permissions to change the setting". It's actually SharePoint that's checking and trying to change the setting on the SQL server - so you have two options: either grant the installation account sysadmin rights on the SQL instance, or pre-configure your SQL instance with MaxDOP=1.

AutoSPInstaller wouldn't be able to prevent this or work around it; it would still need sysadmin rights to set MaxDOP if it wasn't already set. And if we implement a check for sysadmin rights early on, it could cause the script to fail prematurely since these rights aren't strictly required if MaxDOP was already pre-set properly.

Brian

eXXL wrote Mar 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thank you for the replies. I go with what Brian wrote.

I installed SP with an account called SPAdmin with SQL rights "SecurityAdmin" and "DB_Creator" on the DB instance.

I do not want to give the user more permissions to the SQL server so I prefer to set this setting myself before starting the installation.

So everything is fine for me. My installation worked very well with SP2013 and the creation of most common services like UserProfile, Search and Managed MetaData. I just added the March CU and this also worked well despite some minor warnings durin installation. Great stuff this tool! Thanks alot!