Failure during rerun due to site collections already existing

Topics: Feature Requests, Feedback, Support
Jan 15 at 2:19 AM
I created config and ran scripts from https://autospinstaller.com/. I had a "/" character in my app pool name for the 2nd web app i created (i use the hostname for my app pools and copied the trailing "/"). It happened to be my mysite web app. My intranet web app had already been created with a few site collections in it.

The scripts halted execution. I fixed the issues in the second web app and reran the scripts with the updated config file. Upon running, it errored again, but this time because it detected that the site collections already existed in the first web app.

This is a DEV environment and I was looking to simply recreate the site collections (Remove-SPSite) in the event of a setup run issue. Perhaps a "Recreate if exists" checkbox. Or some sort of hook, perhaps in the FunctionsCustom.ps1?
Jan 15 at 2:41 AM
investigated...

...so i have trailing slashes in my site collection urls as specified in xml config.

The line that checks if the site collection already exists is not forgiving of this trailing slash:

$getSPSiteCollection = Get-SPSite -Limit ALL | Where-Object {$_.Url -eq $siteURL}

Can I submit a pull request to fix this?

-Brian
Coordinator
Jan 15 at 3:15 AM
Perhaps we'll look at having more thorough real-time validation in autospinstaller.com for illegal (or typically unwanted characters) in both the app pool names as well as the site collection URLs.

My feeling lately is to have autospinstaller.com do this sort of validation, rather than bloat the script to try to cover every possible scenario. Regardless, thanks for raising this.

Brian
Jan 15 at 3:20 AM
added a fix for the trailing slash in the site colleciton urls: https://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=autospinstaller&DownloadId=1538379

included a comment to address app pool names.

Not much bloat in this.

I'd push for having in the script to fix manual or find/replace edits of raw xml files.

XSD overkill ?