Installing just a Cumulative Update

Topics: General Questions
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM
I just completed my Farm creation using AutoSPInstaller. I got prerequisites and CU April 2014 using AutoSPSourceBuilder, and these were applied during the initial execution of AutoSPInstaller which created the farm.

I now want to install CU June 2014 - can I use AutoSPInstaller or is it best to just use the standard MS process?
Is AutoSPInstaller designed for the initial install only or can it be used to maintain the farm during its life?

Will AutoSPInstaller change any settings I may have changed manually since I last ran it - e.g. if I stopped a service to conserve resources, will it start that service back up?

Do I need to clean up my /SP/2013/Updates or my /SP/2013/SharePoint/Updates folders before running AutoSPSourceBuilder to get the "June 2014" update?

Thank you
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM
If you place the CU in /2013/Updates folder, I assume you could use AutoSPInstaller

If you place the CU in /2013/SharePoint/Updates folder however, you cannot use AutoSPinstaller whatsoever as native slipstreaming only works during the first install of binaries.

Hope this helps.
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I would be reluctant, in general, to use AutoSPInstaller for CU updates. I'd rather follow the process at
Marked as answer by Macrel on 7/18/2014 at 6:16 AM
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Hi Joseph, thanks for your response, it was helpful.