Installing Sharepoint Binarys Fails - Cannot Read XML config file

Topics: Support
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM
There seems to be an issue with the Automatically Generated config-AutoSPInstaller.xml file with sharepoint 2013 sp1.

The installer pops up an error that says that "setup cannot find or validate an installation file, Please try reinstalling office from your installation source...".

Further inspection of the log indicates that:
Config XML file specified: C:\Users\sdsrchfrminst\AppData\Local\Temp\config-AutoSPInstaller.xml
Catalyst processor architecture check: The system is unknown
Parsing config.xml at: C:\Users\sdsrchfrminst\AppData\Local\Temp\config-AutoSPInstaller.xml
The Setup configuration file C:\Users\sdsrchfrminst\AppData\Local\Temp\config-AutoSPInstaller.xml is not valid. Run Setup again without using a Setup configuration file, or fix the configuration file.
Error: Type: Failed to load XML document C:\Users\sdsrchfrminst\AppData\Local\Temp\config-AutoSPInstaller.xml, HRESULT=0x00000001. InvalidMetadataFile ErrorCode: 1(0x1). 
Log level changed from: Standard to: Debug
Manually creating the config-AutoSPInstall.xml and commenting out that line in AutoSPInstallerFunctions fixes this problem.
Line 304             # Set-Content -Path "$configFile" -Force -Value $xmlConfig
So this leads me to believe that AutoSPInstaller is not Encoding the config-AutoSPInstaller.xml file correctly for sharepiont 2013 sp1 to read.

Does anyone have any idea about this?
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Fixed my own issue, but it may be worth noting for others:
I replaced that line (304) in AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 with the following that essentially does the same thing:
Hope this helps someone in the future.

EDIT: This fix did not work for me. I still have the issue. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Apr 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Alright everyone, I really did resolve the error this time.

The problem was "invalid xml".

The reason it was invalid is because there were values within it (DATADIR for example) that was ""DOUBLE QUOTED""

The reason they were double quoted was due to ME quoting those tags in the INPUT xml document.

Hope this helps someone.
Marked as answer by jagallout on 4/30/2014 at 5:53 AM
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Great - thanks for posting your findings and closing the loop. Another reason I recommend folks validate their XML first (opening it in Internet Explorer is one way to do this quickly)!