Install SharePoint Binaries only

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Hi all,

Again, in my travels and my learnings, I have come across a need to run the install just to get the binaries and updates installed. This comes in handy with clients where I can just give them the scripts to run and get everything ready before they get service accounts, databases, license keys, even a complete understanding of what they want. Then once they know what they want, using the same scripts, just add more detail, flip the switch and the config begins.

I've added some code to my scripts which adds a new property to the Inputs file and changes to the Main file which allow you to install only the binaries.

I'm still working out the kinks. Some of the issues are around what checks are even required if you are only installing. Checks like license key, accounts etc don't really need to be done (IMHO).

I rearranged the order of some of the RunInstall function which I think I have wrong but it was just to allow a more clean "if only installing binaries, skip..." logic. I think there are several places in the Main file that need changing. Also this was for a single server install only, haven't even looked at the remote install/multi install paths.

If you would like I can post my code changes, but like I said I think I was still having a few issues with the approach, as you are more intimate with the code, more so the order in which the process needs to run, you are probably in a better position to add this than me, but happy to help. Love your work.

Brett
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Thanks again for support & feedback! Did you know about the following element in the XML:
<!-- Set <PauseAfterInstall> to true in order to pause the script after the SharePoint binaries are installed.
         Useful for running the binary install simultaneously on multiple servers but stopping short of the farm config (which can cause conflicts if running on multiple servers at once) -->
<PauseAfterInstall>true</PauseAfterInstall>
This forces the script to pause for confirmation after the binaries are installed, at which point you can simply CTRL-C to exit the script and presto...

As far as skipping the checks for license keys, well you can't if you want to install the binaries :) And for service accounts, you can just comment out the following lines in AutoSPInstallerMain.ps1:
ValidateCredentials $xmlinput
ValidatePassphrase $xmlinput
CheckSQLAccess
That will get your binaries installed without checking any accounts or connectivity to SQL etc.

TBH the binary install portion happens so quickly that I personally wouldn't see much value in 'staging' your client's servers in advance as you suggested. Might as well get all the details, check and re-check them, then do it all in one shot. Personal preference I guess :)

Brian
Feb 13, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Thanks Brian,

Sorry you are right about the license key check.

So far though, the install of the binaries, plus the updates etc take just as long (for me) as the rest.

I am putting together an installation process for our clients which I am basically getting them to fill in the details of the Inputs file before I go on site. Other parts of this process include getting the client to provision the servers prior to me turning up. As well as service accounts etc etc. This helps the clients to save on my time a bit and generally the IT staff don't want me touching too much anyway, so I just tell them what to provision, then I just come in a configure. (Well that's the plan).

So an additional step in this process will be running the install part of the scripts to ensure that the binaries and updates are all there ready. Unless they have also completed all the other steps (service accounts, SQL etc) then they can't perform this. So its just a convenience thing for me.

Cheers,
Brettt
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Understood, well commenting out those lines should do the trick for you then.

Brian