Creating App Management & Subscription Services without configuring App Domain and App Site

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 12, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Hi Brian,

Love your work.

Relatively new to SharePoint Installations and your project has helped heaps. On my discovery I have started tweaking your install process and thought I'd share some little bits.

As part of installing Workflow Manager 1.0 and configuring with a SharePoint 2013 farm, there is a (subtle) dependency on the App Management and Subscription services. My latest client is still looking into whether they want Apps and working out the App Domain stuff (so am I) but there are various articles relating to creating the service applications (and proxies) without fully configuring the App Domain stuff in order to get some of these other services/dependencies working.

Here's a little change I made to the AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1

In the CreateAppManagementServiceApp function, just before the Set-SPAppDomain code I've added this:
# Only configure the app domain if its required
If ([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($serviceConfig.AppDomain) -eq $false)
    # Configure your app domain and location
    Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Setting App Domain `"$($serviceConfig.AppDomain)`"..."
    Set-SPAppDomain -AppDomain $serviceConfig.AppDomain
Else {Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "  - AppDomain was not specified, not configuring the App Domain, skipping."}
Similarly in the CreateSubscriptionSettingsServiceApp function:
# Only configure the App Site Subscription if its required
If ([string]::IsNullOrEmpty($serviceConfig.AppSiteSubscriptionName) -eq $false)
   Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Setting Site Subscription name `"$($serviceConfig.AppSiteSubscriptionName)`"..."
    Set-SPAppSiteSubscriptionName -Name $serviceConfig.AppSiteSubscriptionName -Confirm:$false
Else {Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "  - AppSiteSubscriptionName was not specified, not configuring App Site Subscription, skipping."}
Then in the input file, if you just leave the AppDomain and AppSiteSubscriptionName blank, it will just keep going.

(I must admit I never tried just leaving them blank and running the scripts, so this might not be needed at all, however making it an explicit decision makes for better understanding, an appropriate description in the input file comments section would be good to)

Hope this is useful,
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Interesting, and thanks for the positive feedback, but I'm not clear on why any of this would be required. Worst case, you could just put placeholder values in, and just change them later? Or am I missing the point?

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Again being rather new to the install and configuration of SharePoint I am still learning what you can and can't do, so for me I didn't even try to configure with placeholder values as I didn't know what impact it would have.

From the articles I have read it is not clear what impacts this would have, and I don't have anywhere I can 'try' this out unfortunately. I've been thrown into the deep end so to speak and am using your scripts live with clients. So this is really trial and error onsite. My next job will be to work out what it means to configure the App Domain etc as I'm not a DNS guy at all but I need to instruct the IT guy on what to do. (any hints?)

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:13 AM
No worries - BTW have a look at this post, one of the best on the topic of setting up app domains etc.:

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:36 AM
Thanks Brian, I have seen a similar article but that clarified a bit. Some of the comments are interesting/confusing. I'll need to do some more research there.

Marked as answer by brianlala on 2/14/2014 at 7:45 AM