sqlncli.msi , the “SQL Native Client” version makes the difference for User Profile Service.

Topics: Feedback, Support
Jan 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Edited Jan 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Like others I like to pre download Prerequisite Installer Files and Update Packages. We create a nice installation point witch include the latest version of the software.

In most cases this is recommended but: “do not use the latest SQL Native Client for SharePoint 2013”. We did use the “Microsoft Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client“ and everything seems to work accept the User Profile Service, this one could not start.

After a lot of searching we downgraded the client to “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client” on the SharePoint server and after that we ware able to start the user Profile service (UPS).

Our configuration:
Multiple server farm all with Windows 2012 OS.
Multiple SQL servers with Windows 2012 OS and SQL server 2012.

Error in the ULSLog:
UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure MIIS post database, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: ERR_CONFIG_DB
Jan 21, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Same here. I can confirm this. Thank you very much Hans!

Our configuration:
Multiple server farm all with Windows 2008 R2 OS.
Multiple SQL servers (Cluster) with Windows 2008 R2 OS and SQL server 2008 (10.50.4297).

Downgrading zu SQL native client 2008 seems to have fixed the problem. The UPS Sync service now starts wihtout the error.
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM
This is good info, thanks! To be clear, AutoSPInstaller wouldn't cause this condition though - you would have to manually grab & install the latest SQL 2012 Native Client for this issue to occur.

Brian
Marked as answer by brianlala on 1/21/2014 at 9:13 AM
Oct 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM
brianlala wrote:
This is good info, thanks! To be clear, AutoSPInstaller wouldn't cause this condition though - you would have to manually grab & install the latest SQL 2012 Native Client for this issue to occur.

Brian
This fixed the problem for me as well...but I'm trying to understand how it happened, so I can avoid it in the future. I used AutoSPSourceBuilder to create the package, then deployed with AutoSPInstaller. So how could this happen? Is it a bug with the prerequisite installer? Or it is likely it was already in the VM image that I started with (I did not create the VM myself, it was provided by the client)?

And for anybody trying to find the SQL Native Client Installer (hint, it's not actually where TechNet says it is), you can find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26728
Make sure you download the correct version. In my case (Win2k12), it's this one:
1033\x64\sqlncli.msi       7.7 MB 
Jan 30, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Thank you all!

I ran into the same issue when I loaded SQL Management Studio 2012 from the SQL media ISO on a SP front end. Guess I should have started UPS before that. All is good now thanks to this posting. Appreciate the help!

"UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure MIIS post database, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: ERR_CONFIG_DB"