Being prompted for install key

Topics: General Questions, Support
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I'm running the latest version of AutoSP and I have a valid ENT key within the xml. But for some reason i'm prompted every time for the install key. There is only one xml in the folder so i know its not because i have conflicting configs...

server 2012 stnd and SP2013
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Can you elaborate on what your folder structure looks like (where the script files are located), and the line in your XML that contains your product key (obviously replace your key with XXXX-XXXX-... etc.)

Thanks
Brian
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:44 PM
My structure is exactly as it was extracted C:\SP
<Install SPVersion="2013">
        <!-- The following few elements are parameters for the file containing the unattended install settings for SharePoint's setup.exe. Normally this is called config.xml.
             AutoSPInstaller can now create this file if it doesn't already exist (based on the ConfigFile name), and use the values below for PIDKey and SKU. -->
        <ConfigFile>AutoSPInstallerInput.xml</ConfigFile>
        <!-- InstallDir is the location to use to store the SharePoint server program files (on a drive letter that must exist on all SharePoint servers in the farm)
             If you don't specify a value, the default location of %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\ is used. Don't change this unless you know what you're doing :)
             Note that this does NOT affect the location of the 14/15 "hive" or SharePoint root - this will still always go to %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\... -->
        <InstallDir>E:\</InstallDir>
        <!-- DataDir is the location to use to store the SharePoint data files, including (by default) the search index files (on a drive letter that must exist on all SharePoint servers in the farm)
             If you don't specify a value, the default location of %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data or %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data (based on SharePoint version) is used -->
        <DataDir>E:\</DataDir>
        <!-- If you are referencing an existing config.xml file, enter the your product key in that file. Otherwise, enter your product key as PIDKey below. -->
        <PIDKey>N3MDM-1111-JD7QH-1111-BY2Y7</PIDKey>
        <!-- SKU can be either Standard or Enterprise. You are responsible for ensuring the PIDKey matches the SKU selected, the script won't/can't validate this. -->
        <SKU>Enterprise</SKU>
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
The problem is right here...

<ConfigFile>AutoSPInstallerInput.xml</ConfigFile>

You put the default name of the AutoSPInstaller Input file as the name of the config file! They're two different files for two different purposes. Try changing the line to this instead:

<ConfigFile>config-2013.xml</ConfigFile>

This will instruct it to look for a file called "config-2013.xml", which it won't find, so it will create it on the fly instead - containing the product key you specified.

Hope this helps
Brian
Marked as answer by brianlala on 12/23/2013 at 9:11 AM
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Brian

That was it...TY!
Coordinator
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Cheers
Brian
May 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Mine has the correct file name and if fact, I am dragging and dropping the xml file on the batch file, but am still being prompted.
Coordinator
May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Best bet is to avoid using an external, separate config.xml file and just put all the information (like product key) in the AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file. Also, make sure you've moved any old config.xml files out of the folder where AutoSPInstallerInput.xml resides, otherwise it may try to use that old config instead.

Brian