This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SharePoint 2013 "missing hotfix" prerequisites. - Error: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

Topics: Support
Dec 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • WerSvc is already stopped and disabled, no action required.

- Finished disabling services.

- Not changing CRL check behavior.

  • Installing Prerequisite Software:
I am running a script I previously used to create a client's Dev SharePoint 2013 farm under win20008R2 . The difference is I am using MSDN install media since I am trying to replicate on a win2008r2 vm underwin 8.1 / Hyper v.
  • Running Prerequisite Installer (online mode)....Done.
    • Prerequisite Installer completed in 00:00:05.
    • SharePoint 2013 "missing hotfix" prerequisites...

- Error: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

  • Script halted!
  • An unknown error occurred installing prerequisites
    Press any key to exit...
Any ideas

I have just had a thought... Does AutoSPInstaller configure IIS or am I meant to have previously installed this.
Dec 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

This was me being a "dumb ass" as I hadn't installed IIS . Luckily it didn't take long to figure out. . Mind you I could do with a startup message ... as to what AutoSPinstaller does doesn't do for re the options not configurable in the xml.

Oh well upwards and onwards....

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
OK, but hang on. You shouldn't have to install IIS. Although technically AutoSPInstaller doesn't install IIS, the PreRequisiteInstaller.exe (called by AutoSPInstaller) should.

Which leads me to wonder how you ran into this issue?

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yes it did seem a bit odd. I had previously run the SPAutoSourceBuilder to get the Prereqs. It seemed to error when running the OOTB PrerequisiteInstaller which didn't happen on the client's server using the same script.
One thing I noticed is after installing IIS I also ran Windows Update with Important updates: SP1 was applied. The PrerequisiteInstaller did seem to repeat the downloads between reboots..... odd
Sep 5, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Have you run the prerequisiteinstaller.exe to see what happens

You may get the
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Product suites available on the operating system: (0X110=272)
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Product type of the operating system: VER_NT_SERVER
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Product type: (0)
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - OS type: (2)
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Error: This tool supports Windows Server version 6.1 and version 6.2
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Configuring the application's property sheet...
2014-09-05 22:52:29 - Cannot retry
2014-09-05 22:52:33 - Opening log file
2014-09-05 22:52:33 - Opened action for user


Sep 6, 2014 at 4:53 AM
Installing SP1 or SP2 should do the trick