Granular Installations: single server config file or sub config files

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I am building a new (test) farm and I thought, rather than use custom PS scripts. I thought I would give SPAutoInstall a try. I see a comment from HosseinAarabi who suggests breaking the config file down for a server install into sub config files, to be run separately . I just wondered if this the preferred approach or can I have one script but target which feature I want to install/configure;, say with a parameter. I personally hate having comment or uncomment stuff in config scripts as I this always leads me to disaster!

Another reason for this type of granular approach is I also like to remove and recreate existing bits of the farm where necessary.
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM
The design approach behind AutoSPInstaller was to be able to run it over an existing farm, and in most cases it will augment your current farm with new web apps, service applications etc.

Now the caveat of course is that, if your farm wasn't build with AutoSPInstaller to begin with, you would have to build your XML file such that it matched your current farm's naming conventions exactly otherwise you could get some undesired results.

The alternative would be to pick certain functions out as required, or as you indicated, comment stuff out. Luckily it's easy to comment out the calls to the various functions in AutoSPInstallerMain.ps1.

Brian
Marked as answer by brianlala on 11/3/2013 at 6:50 PM
Oct 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Brian

thanks for the reply. You have illustrated the
options to consider.. Luckily this is a green field site..
Daniel