Does AutoSPInstaller install the CU's after the PU in SP2013?

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Edited Jul 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Does anyone know if the April and June 2013 CU will automaticaly install after the March PU on a SP2013 farm using AutoSPInstaller?

I have placed the April 2013 CU and the March 2013 CU in my updates folder on a SP2013 remote offline install on Windows 2008R2, the PU is installed but not the April CU.

If this is expect behaviour - great, but I'm thinking I have missed something.

thanks
paul
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Hi Joseph,

I'm struggling to follow what you are saying in you reply. My question is: can I slipstream SP2013 + March 2013 PU + April 2013 CU?
Jul 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Edited Jul 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Yes and No. Let us distinguish between native slipstreaming and the one AutoSPinstaller can additionally perform.

Natively, you cannot slipstream both March PU and April/June 2013 CU.

That is why on May 10th, Brian added another "updates" folder.

So now there are 2 updates folders. One is at 201x\SharePoint\updates and the other is at 201x\updates

So what you need to do is:
1) Extract the files within March PU and copy them to 2013\SharePoint\updates
2) Unzip the CU and place the exe file in 2013\updates

Hope this helps.
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Hi Joseph,

Perfect info! Joseph your reply explains the problem/scenario and where I am going wrong - Thank-you. When I mentioned slipsteaming, I did mean in the context of AutoSPInstaller. I have added the April CU to the wrong folder, thanks for fixing my understanding.
Jul 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Hi Joseph,

I have tried a couple of permetations and results are the PU must be in the 2013\SharePoint\updates folder to be installed.
I can't get the CU to run after the CU regardless of the folder it is in.

Perhaps it's my env: Windows 2008 R2, SP2013, SQL 2012 SP1 on a remote parallel autospinstall. The CU is never run. I'm going to do the upgrade myself as I've wasted too much time trying to get the script to work.

paul
Jul 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Edited Jul 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Hi Paul,

I have just tried this with a 4-server farm and the structure as I described worked nicely. I don't however use Remote or Parallel install nor that I plan to use it in any environment in the near future. So it may be an issue with Remote Install.

I am also using Windows Server 2012 and SQL 2012 SP1 with SP2013.

Extract from the log showing June 2013 CU for SharePoint 2013 being installed.
  • Looking for SharePoint updates to install...
    • Note: the March 2013 PU package wasn't found in ..\2013\Updates; it may need to be installed first if it wasn't slip streamed. (Joseph: I obviously slipstreamed using the Native SharePoint Slipstream capabilities)
    • Installing SharePoint Cumulative Updates:
    • Installing ubersrv2013-kb2817414-fullfile-x64-glb.exe..............................................................
      ........................................................................................................................
      ........................................................................................................................
      .....Done.
    • ubersrv2013-kb2817414-fullfile-x64-glb.exe install completed in 00:57:56.
    • Cumulative Update installation complete.
  • Finished installing SharePoint updates.
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Hi Joseph,

Thank-you for all your time and help. My finding are that the CU installs on a single (no remote) install correctly after the PU. It's the remote offline install that doesn't pick it up for me. Problem I have is I have 4 DTAP envonments being build off TeamCity with up to 130 servers. So manual intervention of firing task isn't an option. I have it working up to QA/Acceptance with 4 WFE's, 7 FAST for SP2010 servers on SP2010 fully pacthed with code deployment.

On Test using SP2013 I have got to the point of 4 WFE's on SP2013 that has the search services (same farm) all automated.
My outstanding issues are:
1) I need to run AutoSPInstaller twice (minor) and
2) the CU is not being added.

Conclusion, I'm going to write the powershell to install the CU on all the SP2013 binary machines and run pssconfig. AutoSPInstaller has saved me so much time, a few work arounds to get a fully automated farm is not a problem.

paul

My extracted log entries are..

• Looking for SharePoint updates to install...
    • Installing 2013 March 2013 Public Update ubersrvsp2013-kb2767999-fullfile-x64-glb.exe.......................................................................................Done.
    • March Public Update install completed in 00:06:59.
  • Finished installing SharePoint updates.
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Hi Joseph,

This has been driving me crazy so I debugged using PowerGUI and this is my mistake. I had extracted the June 2013 CU for SP2013 and renamed it as I wanted to differenitiate the CU's. The pattern matching uses ubersrv*.exe
The extracted file name is ubersrv2013-kb2817414-fullfile-x64-glb.exe not as I stupidly renamed it.

The shame is unbearable!

Real Conclusion: Operator error - PU's and CU's install correctly if you extract them with the correct name!!!!
paul
Marked as answer by brianlala on 12/28/2013 at 3:41 PM
Dec 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Is anyone else having this issue? I'm attempting to install SP 2013 w/ autospinstaller and I'm getting an error on the 2nd server install with the Oct CU update fails to install - I have the the March PU slipstreamed into the sp2013 binaries and am placing the Oct CU into the SP\updates folder - once I start the install it goes through and even says it's installing the Oct update but fails to update or at least it shows under the Farm CA server status as "Installation Required" and when you go into the details it shows the Oct CU is "missing\required"

Any ideas? Been pullilng my hair out. Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM
@Peebag I would check the CU log file to determine exactly why it's failing, if it is indeed attempting to install.

Brian
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Hi - turns out it was user error - didn't have all the correct files for the update in the correct location.

Just an fyi - this is product and the gui counterpart is an outstanding product!