This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Renaming PerformancePointService Database

May 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Edited May 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I am configuring SharePoint 2010 using the latest autospinstaller and the script is aborting when renaming PerformancePointService Database:

Exception : System.Management.Automation.MethodInvocationException:
                     Exception calling "Open" with "0" argument(s): "A netw
                    ork-related or instance-specific error occurred while e
                    stablishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was 
                    not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instan
                    ce name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
                     allow remote connections. 

I have tried to let the script create dbalias still same error.
May 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM
is your install account a sysadmin on SQL or just a security admin?
May 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Yes the install account has system admin and security admin previlleges.
May 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I would run C:\windows\system32\cliconfg.exe and see if somehow a bad alias has been setup .. I ran into something similar a little while back and that was the cause.
May 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Checked the db alias using cliconfg and its okay. Deleted the Performance Point Service application with the database still same error aborting when renaming database.
May 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
As a workaround on renaming PerformancePoint Database. After creating the service application with a GUID database l did backup the performance point database and reattached the backup database to SQL with a new custom name. To attach the new renamed custom database to the service application l did run this powershell command and l was able to delete the other database:

Set-SPPerformancePointServiceApplication -Identity “ServiceApplicationID” –SettingsDatabase “NewCustomDatabase”