Remote Offline install questions

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I'm trying to implement a remote install on Windows Server 2012 Servers and I've got some questions:
-I copied the Windows Server 2012 prerequisites files into :\SP\2013\SharePoint\prerequisiteinstallerfiles\sxs. Is that all which is required to enable the necessary roles and Features?
-where can I define the layout of the farm (which Servers should implement which functionality: WFE, APP)? I've seen comments that this can be defined in a config.xml file but I'm not sure about the structure of that file and where this file should be stored

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM
You only need to add the product ket to the config.xml.

To create a multi tier farm you need to specify the server names in the AutoSPinstallerInput file.

Look for the "Provisions=" fields, instead of "localhost" specify the server names names you want to add in the farm. Its up to you to decide which Services will be installed on what server.

<CentralAdmin Provision="App1a App2a WFE1a">

Best to do a search in the Discussions blog for REMOTE and have a read to get more of an understanding.

Also this is all detailed in the AutoSPInstallerInput.xml file, download the lastest version of AutoInstaller and open the file in Notepad++ and read the sections in green for more info on what to do.
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Thanks sadey2k
Now it is installing the .Net Framework 3.5.1 and that finishes successfully.
After that it says "Running Prerequisites Installer (offline mode) but on the machine where SharePoint should be installed I can't see the process prerequisitesinstaller.exe.
I stopped the scripts and re-run it and now I could see the prerequisitesinstaller.exe got started on that machine.

Any idea how I can get the prerequisites installed without starting the scripts a second time?

btw: what exactly shoud I copy into the Folder:
(I copied all the files from the \sxs subdirectory from the Windows Server 2012 DVD but I'm assuming that I don't Need all of those files)

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Have a read of these two links, they should provide you your anwers.

To your first question first off what is your farm setup looking like??

Where are you ruinning the script from?

Are you saying that it does not appear to start the prerequisitesinstaller.exe on the server? You should see this process in Task Manager if it says Running Prerequisite Installer (offline mode).
Apr 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Thanks sadey2k
My farm right now is only a single Windows Server 2012.
It finishes installing the ".NET Framework 3.5.1" and then I get the Output "Running Prerequisite Installer (offline mode)..." but there's no Progress.
Checking the Tasks on the Server where SharePoint should be installed I see no prerequisiteinstaller.exe.
Only after stoping and re-starting the script the prerequisites are getting installed.

Is there a reboot missing after the Installation of the .NET Framework 3.5.1?
Apr 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM
There is usually a reboot for .Net, what version of the scripts are you using? The lastest 3.86?
Apr 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Yes, I'm using Version 3.86.
Most of the times the prerequisite installer does not get started if the .NET Framework 3.5.1 was installed in the previous step.
Can somebody reproduce that issue?