AutoSPInstaller for a Multi Tier Farm

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of creating a Multi Tier SP2013 farm that will consist of;

2 WFE
2 App
2 Search (one Query and one Crawl)
1 SQL Server
(will add 2 Distributed Cache and Request Manager servers after)

I have edited the AutoSPInstaller file with the relevant server names and switches and am ready to run the file.
I have placed the binary files on all the servers in the farm and they are all powered on.
I plan to run the installer file from a UNC share on my SQL server in the farm.

Is this the only place I need to run the file from? i.e. it will deploy all the binaries and configure everything from running this one file?

First time doing this so any help is appreciated :-)
May 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM
You need to run autoSPInstaller on the CA box, you can't fire it remotely.
Keeping the install binbaries and xml config on a central build and accessing them using UNC is good.
May 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Thanks for your reply, i have been working on this for a while now making lots of errors, learning the hard way but I pretty much got it sorted now. My first farm was as detailed above but with 2 Distributed Cache and Request Manager servers added in. I added all server into the script and then placed all AutoSPInstaller files and binaries on my SQL server in a shared folder with a UNC. I was then able to run the script from there or any server in the farm. As long as the servers were listed in the autospinstaller file it picked them up, was able to do a completed remote parallel install all from one script. I had a few issues with the User Profile and ended up re-provisioning the App server after a few failed attempts of recreating the service app.

My second farm is going to be the same as above but with 2 Query and 2 Crawl servers. Once you have the script correct it saves so much time and effort, big thanks to Brian.
May 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Sadey2k,
I'm about to setup a new 2013 farm with

3 App (query running on 2 of the app servers, and 1 app server dedicated to crawling)
2 WFE
1 SQL Server

I'd love to see what your autospinstaller.xml (minus the actual host and account names of course). From the documentation is sees like I run the autuospinstaller on the app server that will host the Central Administration site first and then run it again on the other servers. If you've blogged about the expierence, please post the link.
Thanks.
May 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have posted some example XML configurations at the url below:
https://autospinstallergui.codeplex.com/releases/view/96225

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Ivan