ULS Logging

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Thank you for AutoSPInstaller!

I noticed that when I received an exception on a site, then looked up the correlation id in the ULS logs, I wasn't finding it.

I resolved this by adding SP_PortalAppPool to the Builtin group 'Performance Log Users'.

I noticed that SP_Services is added to 'Performance Log Users' in the AutoSPInstaller script, but SP_PortalAppPool is not. Is this by design? If not, would it be appropriate to add SP_PortalAppPool as well?

I also noticed a comment on a blog that mentioned that they had added the 'WSS_WPG' group to the 'Performance Log Users' group to handle any other app pool service account that may be added in the future. Not sure what the best practice is here, but just thought I'd start the discussion.

Thanks again!
-Ted
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:57 AM
There shouldn't be any need to manually add accounts other than SP_Services to the Performance Log Users and Performance Monitor Users in order for ULS to work properly. However I have just recently discovered a condition whereby, although SP_Services gets added to the correct groups, it doesn't take effect unless the SPTraceV4 service (or the entire server) is restarted. It will be resolved in the next release.

Brian
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Hi,

In addition to this topic, i would suggest to add also the farm account itself to Performance Log Users to prevent from following error:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/f7adf4d7-ab92-43cd-8616-2b079e86378b/session-officesearch14healthsession-failed-to-start-with-the-following-error-0xc0000022?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

this may happened if we remove later the farm account from local administrators group. I modified the script's ConfigureTracing function by adding:
    $farmAcct = $xmlinput.Configuration.Farm.Account.Username
    Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - Adding $farmAcct to Performance Log Users" -NoNewline
    $farmAcctDomain,$farmAcctUser = $farmAcct -Split "\\"
    Try
    {
        ([ADSI]"WinNT://$env:COMPUTERNAME/Performance Log Users,group").Add("WinNT://$farmAcctDomain/$farmAcctUser")
        If (-not $?) {Throw}
    }
    Catch {Write-Host -ForegroundColor White " - $farmAcct is already a member of `Performance Log Users`."}    
Before updating process identity.
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.