MySite Host under same web application as portal site

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Using V3 on Windows server 2012 and sql 2012 and SharePoint 2013

I have a requirement to have the MySite host site collection under a managed path "MY" on the portal web application. So http://portal/MY As the scripts stand, the web app definition is either "Portal" or "MySite" so I am struggling to see how I can accomplish this.

Is this something you support via your scripts and xml file ?

Thanks for a great resource, been using this since V zero.
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I would also like the ability to have the my site collection under the root web application.

The only way I can see do this is to override the entire CreateUserProfileServiceApplication method.

if the logic that creates the site collection for the my site was seperated from the logic that creates the User profile service application it would alot easier.
Jun 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I agree. Many times MySites are not needed at all, its easy enough to delete them afterwards but it is a waste of time. If you need them under a managed path, you do have to override the default function.

@Brian: Perhaps we can split out MySite creation from the main UPS function and add an option to install it as a managed path. That's going to be the MSFT recommendation for both 2010 and 2013 going forward.
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Marked as answer by brianlala on 11/3/2013 at 6:58 PM