Autospinstaller bypassing managed metadata service application

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Autospinstaller bypassed managed metadata service application during the installation process. We already have managed metadata service application provisioned in one of our existing SP App server. However, we also wanna provision a new managed metadata service application in our new App server that we created through autospinstaller. Everything went well except the fact that it denied to create new managed metadata service application saying that service is already existing in the farm.

Bottom line is, is it possible to have two managed metadata service application hosting in different App server in one Farm? If yes, whats the process ?
Feb 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Yes, its possible to have multiple Managed Metadata Service Applications and they can be on the same servers or different servers in one Farm. Don't have the time to write the PowerShell code but this can be done after AutoSPInstaller runs or you can create a custom function. Take a look at AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 and find the Managed Metadata section to see how its being done.
Feb 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

No. One mms per farm... To my knowledge

On Feb 13, 2013 5:02 PM, "amitNepali" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Autospinstaller bypassed managed metadata service application during the installation process. We already have managed metadata service application provisioned in one of our existing SP App server. However, we also wanna provision a new managed metadata service application in our new App server that we created through autospinstaller. Everything went well except the fact that it denied to create new managed metadata service application saying that service is already existing in the farm.

Bottom line is, is it possible to have two managed metadata service application hosting in different App server in one Farm? If yes, whats the process ?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email autospinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Rickallford,

I think wahid is right about multiple MMS in one farm since I have done that in my dev environment. In my test environment, I already have existing MMS and now I want to provision new MMS service application in newly created sharepoint App server. When I try to create new instance of MMS through CA, it doesn't give me the option to specify in which server you want to provision the new MMS service application. For instance when you try to create new instance of Search Service application, it gives you the option to select the desired SP server where you want to provision the search app. My plan is to create new SP App server where I provision new search service app and managed metadata service app.
Feb 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM
amitnepali,

The way to think about this is that MMS is a farm-wide Service Application so it applies to the entire farm. However, I understand you only want a specific App server to serve the MMS functionality. In that case, you'll stop the Managed Metadata Web Service on all the servers except the one(s) where you want MMS running. Most of the Service Applications have this sort of behavior. Search is the exception and manages its own topology.

I don't think you really want two MMS in a single farm, rather you just need to start the Managed Metadata Web Service (in CA, Services on Server) on your new App server and stop it on the others.
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Wahidsaleemi,
Your explanation about MMS service app is great. Really appreciate that And I have changed my decision on provisioning two mms in single farm.
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM
wahid,
Quick question to you if have experienced that before :
if your sharepoint database includes encrypted data, will that be an issue while you do the database migration from one sql server box to another using sql alias method? Has anyone migrated sharepoint database which included encryption ( for example encryption from bamboo solution or secure store service etc) and run into any issue while doing databse migration??

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated !
Jun 28 at 5:39 AM
Sorry for reviving this old post

I have the same issue as well. I need to create a new MMS for use for a different app. Currently AutoSPInstaller will not allow more than 1 MMS created as the function CreateMetadataServiceApp check on the SPServiceInstance type rather than the display name as such
$metadataServiceInstances = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceInstance"}

$metaDataServiceAppProxy = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | ? {$_.GetType().ToString() -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceApplicationProxy"}
Changing it to the following will solve your pain.
$metadataServiceInstances = Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {$_.DisplayName -eq $metadataServiceName}

$metaDataServiceAppProxy = Get-SPServiceApplicationProxy | ? {$_.DisplayName -eq $metadataServiceProxyName }