SharePoint 2013 - The term 'New-SPExcelServiceApplication' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:23 AM

I'm getting the below error during deployment of SharePoint 2013 with the AutoSPInstaller script.  Has anyone seen this issue?  I attempt to load this cmdlet manually and it cannot be found.  I can see this cmdlet on a SharePoint 2010 environment but not in my 2013 environment.  It fails at the below point when I'm executing the script on my app server.

- Done creating Business Data Connectivity Service.
--------------------------------------------------------------
- Provisioning Excel Services Application...
- Checking local service instance...
- already started.
- Creating Excel Services Application...
- Re-importing SP PowerShell Snapin to enable new cmdlets...
New-SPExcelServiceApplication : The term 'New-SPExcelServiceApplication' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At \\server\apps$\AutoSPInstaller-Server\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:3847 char:36

+                 $excelServiceApp = New-SPExcelServiceApplication -name $excelApp ...

+                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo         : ObjectNotFound: (New-SPExcelServiceApplication:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

- Script halted!
- Error provisioning Excel Service Application
exit

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM

This is likely due to the version I am installing with.  I read somewhere that Excel Services are only available in the Enterprise version.  Can anyone validate here if this is likely the case?  The CMDLET fails to load due to it not being available more than likely.  At this point, that is my assumption.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM

That's correct, Excel Services is available only in the Enterprise SKU (unless installing the Office Web Apps version). I plan to implement a check for this shortly once config.xml is incorporated into the Input.xml - users will need to specify the correct SKU, and then that will enable/disable the provisioning of certain service apps altogether.

Brian

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Brian,

I am having the same issues on a SP 2013 farm. I am pretty sure I have the enterprise bits and the enterprise key. Here are the errors and then the snippet of the config.xml file. Thanks in advance.

Maybe the PerformancePoint error has to do with sysadmin on the db side. I can try that one. Not sure about the other two errors. 

- Provisioning Excel Web App...
 - Checking Excel Calculation Services instance...
 - Excel Calculation Services instance already started.
 - Creating Excel Web App...
 - Provisioning Excel Web App Proxy...
 - Done provisioning Excel Web App.
 - Setting Excel Services Trusted File Location...
 - Provisioning PowerPoint Service Application...
 - Checking PowerPoint Conversion Service instance...
 - Starting PowerPoint Conversion Service instance...
 - Waiting for PowerPoint Conversion Service instance...Online
 - Re-importing SP PowerShell Snapin to enable new cmdlets...
 - Loading SharePoint Powershell Snapin
Invoke-Expression : The term 'Get-SPPowerPointServiceApplication' is not

recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable

program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify

that the path is correct and try again.

At \\Densp13app1-dev\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:1425

char:34

+         $getServiceApplication = Invoke-Expression "$serviceGetCmdlet | ?

{`$_.N ...

+                                 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-SPPowerPointServiceApplicat

ion:String) [Invoke-Expression], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Co

mmands.InvokeExpressionCommand

Press any key to exit...
 - Provisioning Word Viewing Service...
 - Failed to get service instance - check product version (Standard vs.

Enterprise)

At \\Densp13app1-dev\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:1395

char:34

+         If (!$serviceInstance) { Throw " - Failed to get service instance -

chec ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: ( - Failed to ge...vs. Enterpr

ise):String) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId :  - Failed to get service instance - check produc

t version (Standard vs. Enterprise)

Press any key to exit...
 - Applying service account ABCD\SA_SPTest_Services to service AppFabricCachingService...
 - Updating service account...
Exception calling "Deploy" with "0" argument(s):

"ErrorCode<ERRCAdmin010>:SubStatus<ES0001>:Specified host is not present in

cluster."

At \\Densp13app1-dev\SP\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1:3100

char:13

+             $distributedCachingSvc.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()

+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletInvocationException

WARNING:  - An error occurred updating the service account for service

AppFabricCachingService.

Here is my relevant config.xml settings if this helps. Sorry it doesnt format very well.

<EnterpriseServiceApps>        <ExcelServices Provision="densp13app1-dev"                       Name="Excel Services Application"                       UnattendedIDUser="ABCD\SA_SPTest_BIService"                       UnattendedIDPassword="phuzAs8u">        </ExcelServices>        <VisioService Provision="densp13app1-dev"                      Name="Visio Graphics Service"                      ProxyName="Visio Graphics Service"                      UnattendedIDUser="ABCD\SA_SPTest_BIService"                      UnattendedIDPassword="phuzAs8u">        </VisioService>        <AccessService Provision="densp13app1-dev"                       Name="Access Services"                       ProxyName="Access Services">        </AccessService>        <!-- If you choose to provision Performance Point Services, the user running the script must be in the sysadmin role of the SQL server whilst the script runs. This can be revoked afterwards. -->        <PerformancePointService Provision="densp13app1-dev"                      Name="PerformancePoint Service"                      ProxyName="PerformancePoint Service"                      UnattendedIDUser="ABCD\SA_SPTest_BIService"                      UnattendedIDPassword="phuzAs8u">            <!-- You can specify a different DB server/instance or alias per web application and service application. The behavior is slightly different than with the farm DB server though, see below. -->            <Database>                <!-- <Name> designates the suffix portion of the database name. For example if your DBPrefix (above) was "SPFarm", and the name below was "ServiceApp", your full DB name would be "SharePoint_ServiceApp" -->                <Name>PerformancePoint</Name>                <!-- If you are creating an alias (recommended!), <DBServer> is actually the value of the SQL alias; otherwise it's the NetBIOS name of the SQL server or instance.                      If you leave <DBServer> blank, the default DBServer value for the farm is used -->                <DBServer>SP13DBDEV</DBServer>                <!-- The script can create a SQL alias for you. Enter the DBInstance, and if you leave <DBPort> blank, script will assume default port value of 1433 -->                <DBAlias Create="false"                         DBInstance=""                         DBPort="" />            </Database>        </PerformancePointService>    </EnterpriseServiceApps>    <!-- The OfficeWebApps section controls the installation of Office Web Apps. Setting Install="true" requires the office web apps installation files to be present.         Note: OfficeWebApps Install can only be "true" or "false" - server names are not supported here because it's all or nothing for OWA in a farm -->    <OfficeWebApps Install="true"                   ConfigFile="config-OWA.xml">        <ExcelService Provision="true"                      Name="Excel Web App"                      ProxyName="Excel Web App"                      UnattendedIDUser="SA_SPTest_BIService"                      UnattendedIDPassword="phuzAs8u">        </ExcelService>        <WordViewingService Provision="true"                            Name="Word Viewing Service"                            ProxyName="Word Viewing Service">        </WordViewingService>        <PowerPointService Provision="true"                           Name="PowerPoint Service Application"                           ProxyName="PowerPoint Service Application">        </PowerPointService>    </OfficeWebApps>

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Hi

I have a customer who has the same problem.

I am using Sp2013 SP1.

The common denominator seems to be Re-Importing the SP PowerShell Snappin to enable new commandlets followed by Loading the SharePoint PowerShell Snappin

This happens if Get-Command New-SPExcelServiceApplication fails.

Did this ever get resolved ?

Regards

Nigel