Remote installation of prerequisits

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hello all,

I have got an issue with remote installing prerequisits and I hope someone knows a solution that is better than mine.

After the first farm server (wfe1 with CA etc.) has been installed the script starts to remotely install the other servers. When installing prerequisits the script connects succesfully but does not continue after the installation of the sql native client.

My environment consists of a db cluster, 2 wfe, 2 app and 1 search. Prerequists are available offline and the script is configured to run offline, remote and parallel. The servers have no internet connection. The OS (Win 2008 R2) is fully updated.

When manually installing prerequsists there comes up a popup for those packages that have already been installed (through windows update probably). But the script still does not continue over the installation of the sql native client even after stopping it and running it again. All servers have been restarted to make sure there is no leftover installation process running.

Maybe there is a hidden popup from the packages installer blocking the process? It seems the script can't handle those. Am I right or wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

You're right in that the script can't really handle popups or prompts on the remote server(s). When I'm troubleshooting this I usually dive into the event logs, there's a separate log for Windows Installer / Windows Update type stuff that often yields useful info.

However, lack of Internet access on SP farm servers has caused me numerous problems in the past. Have you tried setting <Disable>...<CertificateRevocationListCheck>true</CertificateRevocationListCheck>...></Disable> in the XML?

Also is this SP2010 or SP2013?

Brian

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Edited Nov 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Hello Brian,

it is SP2010 and yes, I have made this setting for disabling certificate revocation list checks. It remains the same outcome. So I think the best solution for now would be installing each server directly with one config file per server and not remotely?

Is it really necessary to use a seperate config file per server or will AutoSPInstaller find out what is to do on each server?

Sebastian