Never ending Help Collection Timer Job

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Edited Aug 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hi guys !

I'm currently deploying multiple servers at a time (so many thanks to you, this feature is just awesome!).

Got 3 servers. (SPAPP1, SPAPP2, SPAPP3)

One of them is a repository for binaries and Autospinstaller scripts. (SPAPP1)

So, this server installs itself then initiate the farm, then the remote installation on the 2 other servers begins.

Everything when smooth till deployment of the second (2/2) language pack (slipstreamed with sp1).

No problem with SPAPP2, everything installs normally to the "Press any key to proceed with farm configuration..."

BUT for SPAPP3 the 2nd language pack deployment step never end.

The Powershell console was still adding blue points. . . . . . . . . . . . .

till I manually crashed the language pack's setup.exe running on SPAPP3.

After that the process finished normaly and went to "Press any key to proceed with farm configuration..."

I checked in the Control Panel > "Uninstall a program", and yes, the faulty language pack is installed.

OK.

So then I pushed a random key in each Powershell remote console to start the farm configuration for both servers.

Maybe to start both of them at the same time is not a good idea ?

No one passed the Installing Help Collection step, waiting for the timer job.... . . . . . . . . . . . .

I waited more than two hours, nothing happens, servers are idle CPU.

then I stopped everything....

Have you got an idea about what is related with this sort of "idle" during processes ?

How can I restart installing my servers without the need to delete the portal and mysite host site collections ? (the script crash if it find that these sites already exists, if I run the install a second time, for example after a random failure)

What is this Help Collection timer job that is running so long time also when I install only one server (in this case it works, but this timer is very very long)

Thanks for help or advices ! :)

See you !

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Well, I just found something interesting !

The SharePoint 2010 Timer service was not running on SPAPP2, and as soon as I started it.... Bingo !

The Help Collection Timer is no more waiting, and now the Installation Timer Job is running !

Got an idea so why the Sp Timer service didn't start ?

It was properly set to automatic startup and Log on as SPFARM account too !

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Please grab the latest changeset under Source Code - I've removed the reference to the WaitForHelpInstallToFinish function as it's no longer needed. Should resolve your issue as well as help the script finish faster.

Brian