How to remote/parallel install a full farm ?

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hi community !

These are my first step with AutoSpInstaller, and I'm currently trying to automatize a full 5 servers farm install and config.

2 WFE + 3 APP servers, with OWA, LPs, SP1s and services.

I'm really interested in global simultaneous farm deployment with AutoSpInstaller and I have a few questions about it :

1) Can I deploy everything (including all installation files through the network...) from a single server ?

(using RemoteInstall, PauseAfterInstall and ParallelInstall)

1.1) If yes, how to tell the script on which servers binaries should be deployed ? (and SharePoint installed/configured)

Is there a XML or PS1 file to fill with servers names ?

2) Where can I define the SharePoint installation path ? (As we usually can do while running the SharePoint setup.exe)

Many thanks ! :)

SPZ

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 2:57 AM

1) Yes. I usually just put all the binaries on a central app or SQL server, then run the script from there (make sure you run it from \\server\share\..\AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat and not C:\folder\AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat - because the remote servers need an absolute UNC path to resolve to the central share/server.
1.1) Have you read any of the project description or readme.rtf? Also look under the Documentation navigation link above.
2) You define this in the config.xml. However IMO there's no good reason to change the binary installation path. Instead, you can customize the logging location as well as the search index location (both in the AutoSPInstallerInput.xml). No matter what you do, some binaries will get installed to C:, unless you go so far as to modify your %COMMONPROGRAMFILES% environment variable (NOT recommended).

HTH
Brian

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Thank you so much Brian !

1) ok, first issue here for me, as I launched the .bat from C:\folder\AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat...

1.1) Yes I read the RTF and also I tried to access the Wahid's blog, that didn't respond yesterday.

The RTF is not really clear for me  :/

So if I understand well i have to create a AutoSPInstallerInput-DOMAIN.xml with common parameters to all my servers, then create individuals AutoSPInstallerInput-COMPUTERNAME.xml for each servers, with specific and dedicated configuration ?

2) Ok thanks, I aggree with this and I'll try to help my project leader change his mind about it :)

Have a nice day !

SPZ

Marked as answer by brianlala on 11/3/2013 at 6:53 PM
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Hi Brian,

I am attempting to do a remote install of SharePoint, following your instructions above. I created a share for the autoinstaller folder and referenced the AutoSPInstallerLaunch.bat using the UNC path rather than C:\AutoSPInstaller... The install completes for the current server, but fails for a remote server with this error message:
  • Launching AutoSPInstaller...
    The term '\<ShareName>\AutoSPInstaller\AutoSPInstallerMain.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
Do you know what might be the issue and how it can be corrected?

Thanks,
Suds.
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Hi SudPLA,
I have exactly the same problem - have you find solution?

Cheers,
Bart
Jul 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Hi SudPLA,
I found solution - put all files to for example SQL server, share it, give permission for Instalation user and lunch from cmd.... Work for me :)

Cheers,
Bart
Marked as answer by brianlala on 11/3/2013 at 6:54 PM
Oct 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Hi,

I am trying to install a SharePoint 2013 farm on my POC at the moment. 2 WFEs 1 APP and SQL DB server.

Install started on the APP server using UNC path to a network staging area and this installs and creates the FARM correctly. The remote installs start up to install the WFE's (PreReqs have been previously installed as we were getting errors previously). I've output the path to the staging and that is correct on both WFE's, but the Sharepoint binaries did not complete. I had to stop the install as it was over 12 hours ie was left running over night.

Has anyone any pointer as to what the possible issue is? No errors. All servers built the same. Installs APP ok. Do i need a mapped drive instead of UNC path. Any help / ideas welcome.

Regards,
Mark
Coordinator
Nov 4, 2013 at 1:56 AM
@k32vhg, quite often this occurs because one or more farm servers get stuck on a particular update or part of the script, and unfortunately we can't get more info within the master script to know if/why they are stuck. Gracefully rebooting the affected servers and kicking off the script again should clear up the issue.

Brian