SP 2013 AutoSPInstaller ???

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Brian,

Now that 2013 Preview has been released... what are your thoughts about scripting the install?

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I was curious too and hoped there are not too many changes in the powershell cmdlets :-)

So I modified the AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 (version 3.0.3) to look in the right locations (15 Hive, 15.0 path in the registry, 2013 instead of 2010 etc.) copied the new binaries of SP2013 preview and just gave it a try.

Environment:
- VMWare VM
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- 24GB, 6 Cores
- SQL 2012 installed on same server
- joined to a domain, therefore using domain users for installation
- using least priviledge pinciple, meaning separate accounts for most of the services, apppools etc as best practice

My findings:

1. I had some issues with the prerequisite installer which required several reboots, so I ran that one manually (don't forget also to install the three hotfixes KB2472264, KB2554876 and KB2708075 as mentioned in the preview documentation)
2. I had installed Office 2013 ProPlus Preview on the machine before and it seemed like it also installed the office web applications in both the 14 and the 15 hive (very odd in my opinion). AutoSPinstaller is only checking on a OWA Feature to be present, so as this was already there it skipped the installation of the WebApps which I put additionally in the AutoSPInstaller structure.
3. Then the script went pretty fine :-)
   - created config DB
   - created central admin
   - configured diagnostics
   - added managed accounts
   - created all my desired web applications and site collections (including mysite)
   - created managed medata service app
   - created Security Toke service app
   - created state servuce app
   - created and configured UPS
   - created usage and health app
4. then the script failed on creating the Web Analytics App because the cmdlet "Get-SPWebAnalyticsServiceApplication" does not exist anymore, so I turned that one off in the input xml.
5. the script failed again when not finding SPSearch4 of FoundationSearchService which is renamed to SPSearchHostController, so I changed that, reran the script with success :-)
6. Next hurdle EnterpriseSearch app:
   - the cmdlet New-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication does not have the parameter SearchApplicationType anymore
   - the cmdlet Get-SPEnterpriseSearchCrawlTopology does not exist anmore
   - and maybe more issues which I decided to skip by not creating the Enterprise Search app :-), that part is just too complex to make a quick hack
7. Continued success :-)
   - created Excel Services app
   - created Access database service 2010 app
   - created Visio Graphics Service App
   - created PerfomancePoint Service App
8. Powerpoint Service App failed... So Office Web Apps weren't installed after all :-( I couldn't install them manually either because I installed Office 2013 Preview in 32bit which prevents from installing Office Web Apps x64 *bummer* :-( --> disabled installation of PowerPoint and WordViewing services apps...
9. At the very end the scripts fail to open Central Admin, but I can live with that for now :-)

I have yet to test if everything is configured and working as expected. Also the new service applications like transalations services are of course not available.

As this was a lot trial and error and obviously a quick hack I am not going to post the modified script because in respect to the guys who saved so much of my consulting time I don't want to spoil the hard efforts of the AutoSPInstaller team. But if you know your way around in powershell, this might help you setting up a test environment more quickly. At least I am using my modified script now to setup test dev machines for my dev team :-)

@Brian, if you want to have a look on my changes anyway just contact me.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Office Web Apps are now seperated from SharePoint, because Exchange 2013 and Lync 2013 also use this apps so Microsoft decided to move them off SharePoint (a good decission). But at the moment the documentation states that Office Web Apps are not allowed together with any other "server" product. So we need a dedicated box (virtual is fine) to integrate Office Web Apps. Thats my understanding so far since monday.

Search changed also because there is no seperate FAST install. I suspect it is integrated now so there is no need to specify a type. But if FAST is the new search it is clear the topology part won't work because FAST worked differently in the past so it my need changes in the current preview.

Web Analytics is no more ... a dedicated service app. It is integrated into ... yes search (?). I undertand it is a value to search results relevancy to know the hits on documents and other sp items, but this seems a little strange. But web analytics was never a strong player at least here in europe.

PowerPoint is is also a office web app. During upgrade the broadcast host fomr 2010 should be removed. So maybe thats why this is failing.

As i've done the installation without i script i realized how much i love AutoSPInstaller :-) I hope to see a version, but won't start prior RTM if i where Brian :-)

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Thanks for the additional insight :-)
I am still digging into everything.

Regarding Office Web Apps I am not entirely sure. I will give it another try with a 64bit office installed. I would still like to be able to have a single server dev machine, which also hosts the web apps.

Regarding the integration in AutoSPinstaller, I totally agree with you! I suppose we will still see some changes in future releases so it is probably not worth it.
But as I just don't want to setup 10 dedicated dev machines manually (which will eventually cause some configuration differences when I do it by hand) and I want the VMs to be part of the domain (otherwise I would have just cloned one successful install) I am happy that I got AutoSPInstaller working so far :-) It was not that complicated anyway as the script is structured very well and can be re-run after an error.

@Brian: You guys do a marvelous job, so don't waste too much time on the preview :-)

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Wow lots of buzz here... My impression of SP2013 so far is a whole lot of SP2010 with a "Metro" skin :)

I don't have a much more to add yet except that I'm surprised just how much just 'works' with SP2013 and AutoSPInstaller, with a few minor tweaks. Basically if you replace all occurrences of '14' (i.e. references to the 14 hive for SP2010) with '15', you can get pretty far with the current script (up until Get-SPWebAnalyticsServiceApplication, of course, which no longer exists). Also don't forget to set <OfflineInstall> to false, so that it can go and download all the prereqs (and reboot a bunch of times!)

I have yet to try AutoSPInstaller on Win2012; I imagine there'll be a few more hurdles.

Brian

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Edited Jul 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ok, regarding Office Web Apps I give up. Not possible to have that role on the same server as GeekDotNet mentioned (see also post from Wictor regarding that http://bit.ly/NGcecP

For the downloading all the prerequisites you can download an updated PS script from Paul http://bit.ly/NKcv9g which resembles pretty much the one you can get here in the downloads section but with updated urls.

Nevertheless the script doesn't include the mentioned hotfixes for Windows 2008R2 SP1 so here are the corresponding URLs in case you haven't found them yourself yet ;-)

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix402568/7600/free/447698_intl_x64_zip.exe
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix368051/7600/free/433385_intl_x64_zip.exe
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix354400/7600/free/427087_intl_x64_zip.exe

Have fun!

Matt

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Too funny - the author (Paul) of the updated prerequisite download script you mentioned doesn't even cite the source or give me credit in any way :( Not very becoming of an MVP.

Anyhow I'll be putting a BUNCH of updates out soon, including an updated prerequisite downloader etc.

Brian

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Brian,

Can you send the link?  I would love to see this article.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

@rtonerii Updated the links to actually show as links.

@Brian you know MVPs nowadays... ;-)

BTW: UPS is not creating the default connection on 2013 opposing to 2010, but didn't throw any error or warning.

Matt

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Sorry about not mentioning the actual source where the original prerequisites script came from.  I did mention that it wasn't original with me, I just didn't remember where I got the original from.  I honestly don't think I got from here.  I think I got my copy from one somewhere else where it was also posted.  So my appologies Brianlala.  If you like I'll update the post and point people here.  You can also feel free to use it here.

I also hadn't seen the text in the preview documentation listing the additional hotfixes.  I'll add an addendum to reference those as well.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Ah OK no prob @pstork... I'm sure there are snippets of code within AutoSPInstaller that I neglected to cite sources for (same circumstances - couldn't remember where I lifted them from).

Anyhow I'm also very nearly done work on an über-script that will not only download all prerequisites for both SP2010 and SP2013 platforms, but also fully slipstream service pack(s) and cumulative updates - including language packs and their updates. So Paul's modified script did help me with the list of the SP2013 prerequisite URLs and I happily grabbed them from there :)

BTW @matein78 do you know the 'friendly names' of the additional 3 hotfixes you listed? And are those the actual URLs that the prerequisiteinstaller uses (i.e. will it handle the compressed hotfix zip/exe files, or will it expect them to be extracted?

Brian

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Ah OK no prob @pstork... I'm sure there are snippets of code within AutoSPInstaller that I neglected to cite sources for (same circumstances - couldn't remember where I lifted them from).

Anyhow I'm also very nearly done work on an über-script that will not only download all prerequisites for both SP2010 and SP2013 platforms, but also fully slipstream service pack(s) and cumulative updates - including language packs and their updates. So Paul's modified script did help me with the list of the SP2013 prerequisite URLs and I happily grabbed them from there :)

BTW @matein78 do you know the 'friendly names' of the additional 3 hotfixes you listed? And are those the actual URLs that the prerequisiteinstaller uses (i.e. will it handle the compressed hotfix zip/exe files, or will it expect them to be extracted?

Brian

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

The hotfixes are not installed by the prerequisitesinstaller.exe (at least they weren't when I tried putting them into the PrerequisiteInstallerFiles folder as exe files)

The article on Technet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263202(v=office.15) says, that the hotfixes have to be installed after the prerequisites, but in my case I had to install them before, otherwise prerequisisteinstaller.exe failed. Seems a little strange. I will test that again on the next machine I am going to set up.

The hotfixes "friendly names" and urls to request them from MS are

KB2554876 The SharePoint parsing process crashes in Windows Server 2008 R2 
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554876 

KB2708075 FIX: IIS 7.5 configurations are not updated when you use the ServerManager class to commit configuration changes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708075 

KB2472264 You cannot customize some TCP configurations by using the netsh command in Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2472264 

The urls in the previous post are the ones you get by mail after you requested the hotfix.

Matt