Latest version of AutoSPInstallerInput.xml *SURPRISE* defaults to DBAlias Create="true"

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Very impressed by the DB breakout changes in the latest versions. Awesome!

Though it took me 20 minutes to figure out why I couldn't connect to a remote SQL server using a standard connection attempt , which we've done a million times before. Until I noticed that the parameter DBAlias Create="true" was set, by default. This of course meant that AutoSPInstaller had set a local alias on the SharePoint server which was erroneously trying to use the default parameter DBInstance="SERVER\INSTANCE".

I had to manually delete this alias via 'cliconfg.exe' and set DBAlias Create="false" to get it to connect by DB servername directly this time around.

Just a heads up to anybody else that fails to catch this subtle difference on thier first run. I might also suggest returning this value to DBAlias Create="false" as the default in future releases.

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Interesting, never ran into that myself since I always use aliases :) Maybe I was trying to strongly hint that folks use a SQL alias...! Will consider setting it to false, or otherwise providing better guidance so that people notice it and set the right values.

Brian