Perform farm configuration only

May 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I browsed and searched for a posting on this topic but was surprised not to find one.

My customer has VM images that already have SharePoint 2010 binaries installed, but PSConfig has not been run anywhere. I want AutoSPInstall all databases, configurations and services. What's the best way to configure AutoSPInstallerInput.xml and Config.xml for this?

Related topic: ok, so I would also like to AutoSPInstall SP1 and latest CUs, on top of binaries already installed. Any advice on how to configure for this?

Thanks,

Mark Arend

May 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hi Mark,

You have to extract the SharePoint ISO, SP1 and the latest CU and place it in the SP2010 folder as described. The AutoSPInstaller script will install only the SP1 and CU as the SharePoint binaries are already installed.

Just set the 'Provision' attribute to 'true' or define the servername whenever you want a service to be configured and activated (and configure a webapp and sitecoll if you want).

May 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Edited May 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Hi Mark,

Once the SharePoint RTM binaries are installed, you cannot use AutoSPInstaller as-is to install Service Pack 1 and/or latest CU via slip streaming it. In general slip streaming updates is not a feature of AutoSPInstaller but is a feature of the native SharePoint installer itself.

You have two options: You'll either have to uninstall the RTM binaries and start over using AutoSPInstaller after following dimitriPrincen advise or manually install the Service Pack and latest CU.

Cheers.

May 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Hmm, two conflicting answers.  I will attempt Dimitri's technique and report if it worked.  Love VM snapshots!

Coordinator
May 25, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Hi Mark, Joseph is correct. AutoSPInstaller will merely check to see whether the SharePoint binaries are installed, and skip the install completely if they are.

The only way to get SP1 and any CUs is to slipstream and start over from scratch, or manually (ugh) from your current state. Personally, I'd remove the SharePoint binaries from each VM (or better yet, get new clean VMs provisioned), and start fresh with a nice slipstreamed source using the latest stable CU (Dec / Feb / April depending on who you talk to).

Brian

May 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

And as of this writing, the latest stable CU cannot be April 2012 http://blogs.technet.com/b/steve_chen/archive/2012/04/25/3494397.aspx 

+++++++++  Urgent Update !!  +++++++++++  
2012-05-25

Attention! 

There are regressions discovered in the April 2012 CU! Currently the hotfix is in recall from all download servers,

So if you have downloaded but not installed yet, please do not use this CU until next updated version is available!

In case you have already installed the CU and you observe heavy issues or inaccessible lists, Webs and/Or Site Collections, please call MS Support for assistance!

Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.

This only impacts  SharePoint 2010!

+++++++++  End of Update  +++++++++++