Using Team Site instead of Portal

May 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM

First of all, thanks for the time saving script. Initially when I ran the script, it started to throw exception while creating master key for securestore. Start sleep 30 didn't help so I increased the WCF timeout in Client file and it worked like a charm.  My issue is that I don't want the web app to be a portal site, I want it to be a Team Site. I noticed that AutoSPInstallerFunction is checking at many places Where {$_.Type -eq "Portal"}, if I change that to "Team Site", will there be any issues.

Any help  would be greatly appreciated. 

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Don't worry about the word "Portal" here - in the XML, the <SiteCollection> attribute Template is what determines what kind of site you get, not the label "Portal". Also don't change the type from Portal to anything else as it will break that part of the script. 

For a Team Site, you'll want to set Template="STS#0"

Brian

May 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Hi Brian...Thanks for the suggestion. After making the changes, the installation worked but  I am getting request time out exception in my portal site,mysite and search site. To fix the error of time out while creating securestore master key, I increased the sendout time in Client.Config from 20 to 60s and it worked. But now when I try to browse to any of the site I am getting this error Unexpected     System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

I have installed ServicePack1, June CU and April2012 CU.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Coordinator
May 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM

What are the specs of the server(s) you're installing this on? In my experience, timeouts frequently correlate with low-spec servers (insufficient CPU or RAM, usually).

Also note that you only need to install SP1 + April 2012 CU, interim CUs like the June 2011 CU are not required to bring a server up to date.

Brian

May 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Thanks Brian. Low-spec server could be the reason as I am doing it on a hyper-v environment

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:05 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

1- I installed SP 2010 SP1 using AutoSPInstaller on a fresh Windows 2008 R2/SQL 2012 server (thanks, Brian!). What would be the effect of deleting the Portal Site and creating a new site collection using the same web app and the Team Site template? Would anything break?

2- According to some posts SP1 and the December 2011 CU are required to have a "supported configuration". Is that accurate?

Thanks in advance,

M.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 2:59 AM

1. @mlopez_iattc, you should have no problem deleting the portal site collection in order to make room for a new Team Site. You may want to update your AutoSPInstallerInput.xml to reflect this though, in case you need to rebuild/repair your farm.

2. This question is outside the scope of this forum, but I strongly doubt that the December 2011 CU represents the baseline supported config. It may be the *recommended* baseline though (although the June 2012 CU is looking pretty good too, according to my pal Todd Klindt http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Regressions/June2012CU.aspx).

Brian