How to Install Cumulative Updates for SP 2010 Products

May 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I have my current sharepoint environment setup with AutoSPInstaller with  these cumulative updates and running with no issues. 

August 2011 Update   for  SharePoint Server 2010

Service Pack 1 (SP1) for SharePoint Server 2010

I see in the TechNet that we have cumulative updates every month. Do I need to install these updates everymonth or is it like only if we only have issues related to hotfix then only we download and install that hotfix. Ex: ( April 2012 Update for  SharePoint Server 2010,  KB 2598151 ), so that I can have latest updates included.

Thanks in Advance.

May 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Actually CU's only come out every 2 months, and the general guidance is SP1 for sure, and Cumulative Updates are installed only if you're experiencing the issue(s) resolved in the CU. Now, since some CUs include fixes/enhancements that are so broad or important that nearly everyone would be affected, these CUs become nearly as applicable as Service Packs themselves (for example, the June 2011 CU is almost mandatory to install with SP1 because of the User Profile enhancements).

Lots of other guidance out there too, although not strictly related to this script really.

May 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Thanks Brian for you reply though it is not related to the script. Now i have a clear idea of CU's and SP1.