SQL Database names and XML config files in Change Set 86963

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Hi,

i saw your nice pre-release check-in of the AutoSPInstaller v3 - Change Set 86963.

However, when i look at my config file (AutoSPInstallerInput-hostname.xml) i see some changes in database names (for example instead previous ConfigDB, now is just Config , etc.) , this is fine for me, however in second part of configuration databases gets the DB suffix for database name (as in default input xml configuration).

Please can you make it consistent use default with suffix DB or without it, just be sure it is consistent.

Also it would be nice if you could write some XML Schema for current XML configuration, just to check if structure is ok (maybe some parts are deleted, or added by mistake etc) in head of xml configs.

Thank you for creating great script!

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Hi,

I think you're referring to this part:

<!-- The name of the farm configuration database -->
<ConfigDB>Config</ConfigDB>

This is just an example how the parameter can look like, you can put there whatever you want. Also the DBPrefix is added to any database the script creates including the central admin and config db names. Sure you have configured all nessessary values?

Regards

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yes i have configured all parameters, and everything works. I just want to say that in previous version default configuration ALL database names had a DB suffix (ConfigDB, ProfileDB, SyncDB), now in 3.0. , this DB suffix is lost for SOME databases (as mentioned), however SOME of them still have it (StateServiceDB, WebAnalyticsReportingDB, WebAnalyticsStagingDB, UsageAndHealthDB ....) , so please make this consistent. I am aware that I can configure this parameters as I want :)

Also, creating XML schema will be help for multiple individual, similar deployments.

Thank you,

Kind regards

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi,

already did several installs with v3, and all got the proper db prefix including the service databases you mention.

Test_AdminContentDB_001
Test_Appl_SPContent_001
Test_BusinessConnectivityDB_00
Test_Coll_SPContent_001
Test_Common_SPContent_001
Test_ConfigDB_001
Test_LoggingDB_00
Test_ManagedMetadataDB_00
Test_ProfileDB_00
Test_ReportingDB_00
Test_Search_SPContent_001
Test_SecureStoreDB_00
Test_Social_00
Test_Social_SPContent_001
Test_StagingDB_00
Test_StateServiceDB_00
Test_SyncDB_00

regards

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM
larbre wrote:

Hi,

already did several installs with v3, and all got the proper db prefix including the service databases you mention.

Test_AdminContentDB_001
Test_Appl_SPContent_001
Test_BusinessConnectivityDB_00
Test_Coll_SPContent_001
Test_Common_SPContent_001
Test_ConfigDB_001
Test_LoggingDB_00
Test_ManagedMetadataDB_00
Test_ProfileDB_00
Test_ReportingDB_00
Test_Search_SPContent_001
Test_SecureStoreDB_00
Test_Social_00
Test_Social_SPContent_001
Test_StagingDB_00
Test_StateServiceDB_00
Test_SyncDB_00

regards

Hi,

sorry for my bad english, we do not understand each other. Database name prefix (in your case "Test_") normally works. I am talking about suffix not prefix in default Input XML file. (I have bolded "DB" word in your quote), to be consistent we should or we should not use "DB" anyhow you have mixed database names (somewhere you have with "DB" and somewhere you have lose it :) )

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

now I got ya :-) sorry about the confusion

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

If I understand the thread correctly, it's about the sample database names provided in the starter AutoSPInstallerInput.xml. You're ultimately responsible for these names; what I provided is again, merely a sample. I'll ensure that the sample values are consistent though in the future (the next code drop, for example, puts in slightly better suggested account names).

Brian

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM
brianlala wrote:

If I understand the thread correctly, it's about the sample database names provided in the starter AutoSPInstallerInput.xml. You're ultimately responsible for these names; what I provided is again, merely a sample. I'll ensure that the sample values are consistent though in the future (the next code drop, for example, puts in slightly better suggested account names).

Brian

Yes, that is it, I am suggesting to have consistent sample database names :)

And to build XML schema for Input XML file :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Where can one obtain the new version of AutoSPInstaller??

Is it compatible with SharePoint Foundation?? -- it really shouldn't be too hard, should it?? -- just document what to comment out or not include in the process because it's not part of SPF and conditionals to do X if SharePoint Server, Y if SPF??

I'm not a programmer so I can only speculate and hope...

Thank you, Tom