Question - v3 remote installation

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Is there something specific that needs to be done to install remotely?

I set the XML nodes to true for both RemoteInstall and ParallelInstall. I also ran the ConfigureRemoteTarget script successfully on all servers.

What else do I do to get the install to run on the remote servers? Mine are not working.

-Doug

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM

What does your farm topology look like? How many servers, etc. And which server did you run the script on?

Brian

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

This is our Dev farm.. 3 virtual machines. 1 wfe, 1 app, and 1 db. I was running the autospinstaller tool in the app server.

Our new UAT environment that I have to build is 6 servers (VMs)... 2 wfe, 2 app, and 2 db. This matches our current production environment. I'd like to use the remote installation capabilities.

 

-Doug

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

OK so if you kick off the install from the App server, it will first run through the entire install on the local server before it even attempts to do a remote install on the remaining servers.

However, as someone pointed out in another discussion, the script currently 'figures out' which servers are in the farm by searching the XML for server name references (e.g. <QueryServers> in the search service app section). Is it possible that your WFE server isn't mentioned anywhere in the input XML?

I will need to update the script to account for scenarios where WFEs aren't assigned any of the roles currently included in the input XML (i.e. they are truly just WFEs). My WFEs typically have the QueryServer role, so they're picked up that way and the remote install subsequently kicks off on those servers.

Brian

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks..

The wfe is listed in the XML file, however, the script did terminate abnormally... which would indicate why the other install did not start.

The error is below.. and at this point I'd ask which account should I be running the script as? I thought I was supposed to be logging onto the server as the spadmin account. Is that correct...

 

 

  - Restarting SharePoint Timer Service...
 - Adding Network Service to local WSS_WPG group (fixes event log warnings)...
 - Running all Health Analyzer jobs...
 - Completed!
-----------------------------------
| Automated SP2010 Remote Installs |
| Started on: 4/3/2012 4:08:23 PM |
-----------------------------------
 - Enabling WSManCredSSP for "il1wd0171webil1wd0182app"
 - Enabling WSManCredSSP for "il1wd0171web"
 - Enabling WSManCredSSP for ""
--------------------------------------------------------------
 - Script aborted!


Exception             : System.Management.Automation.ParameterBindingValidation
                        Exception: Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Deleg
                        ateComputer'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an
                        argument that is not null or empty and then try the com
                        mand again. ---> System.Management.Automation.Validatio
                        nMetadataException: The argument is null or empty. Supp
                        ly an argument that is not null or empty and then try t
                        he command again.
                           at System.Management.Automation.ValidateNotNullOrEmp
                        tyAttribute.Validate(Object arguments, EngineIntrinsics
                         engineIntrinsics)
                           at System.Management.Automation.ParameterBinderBase.
                        BindParameter(CommandParameterInternal parameter, Compi
                        ledCommandParameter parameterMetadata, ParameterBinding
                        Flags flags)
                           --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

 


Coordinator
Apr 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Something's weird about the way the script is picking up your server names. It's combined two of them into one string:

Enabling WSManCredSSP for "il1wd0171webil1wd0182app"

And one of them shows up blank, or null. Did you comma-separate the server names, or space-separate them in the XML?

Brian

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Space separated... but I had left this blank...

<SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsServers>
                        <Server Name="il1wd0171web" />
                    </SearchQueryAndSiteSettingsServers>

 

I've reverted to snapshot prior to install and am trying again.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Greetings,

I'm past the error.. and it looked like it tried to start the install on two servers... one with the two names crammed together. And the proper one.

Only in the PsExec window, it couldn't find the power shell scripts since it's referencing the hard drive location of the APP server..

Should I be launching the script from a UNC location? Or map a drive in the profile of the install acount on both servers?

 

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ahh... UNC Path is working...  Still getting an entry for the concatenated servers... should the separation be with commas instead of spaces?

 Enabling WSManCredSSP for "il1wd0171webil1wd0182app"

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Looking into the AutoSPInstallerFunctions.ps1 file...

on line 3990 I start to see the following:

        # Accomodate and clean up comma and/or space-separated server names
        $server = $server -split "," -replace " ", ""

So if it's comma separated, then it's split into two different listings in the array. But if it's space separated, then the space is removed to create the concatenation.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Sorry yes, in reply to your earlier question it has to either be run from a UNC path (which all servers have access to, with the setup account) or you can simply duplicate the entire folder structure across all servers so they each use local files.

Thanks for pointing out the bug. Perhaps I should just remove support for spaces and just enforce commas... simpler.

Brian