Defining a WFE / App server

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Quick question, this may be really obvious but I just can't think of how the script achieves it.

How does the script know what role a server is going to be? eg. how does it define which server will be the WFE and how it decides which is the app server. I presume the app server role gets assigned by the script based off what service applications you are installing/setting up on it, but how does it know which server you want to be the WFE and have IIS7 setup ?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM

You answered your own question :) In the XML input file, you provide the name of the server or if it is a single server install, you provide localhost in the provision tag for each service application. What distinguishes APP from WFE are the service appplications. IIS7 is one of the prerequisites that is installed as part of the prerequisites installation phase of the deployment. XML input file is very well commented out so I would recommend carefully reading each comment to get a better understanding of configuration for each server role.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:33 AM

so correct me if i'm wrong, does that mean essentially all the servers in the farm excluding SQL would effectively have IIS running on them and make them a WFE as well? Does that mean you have to manually go back and stop sharepoint foundation web application service from running if you dont want it as a WFE?

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yes, all SharePoint Servers will have IIS. IIS doesn't make a SharePoint Server a WFE. SharePoint Foundation web service does. IIS is required irrespective on a SharePoint Server.

Current version of AutoSPInstaller, 2.5.7, will initially make all servers in the farm WFE's. So, Yes, you have to manually go back and stop the SharePoint Foundation web service on Servers that will not be serving requests to end users. In some occasions, you may like to have this service running on the server that has Central administration.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Great thanks Joseph

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

To learn more about WFE and App server roles and where each service should run, take a look at this diagram http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=167089